LGA Departures avoiding US Open

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

vnyflyer

Anybody know what exactly they are changing to the LGA departures to avoid the Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows. Also, anybody ever flown into LGA in a Piper Warrior.

vnyflyer said:
Anybody know what exactly they are changing to the LGA departures to avoid the Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows.

I noticed today that everyone was doing Flushing climb which doesn't put over the stadium when you depart rwy 13.

vnyflyer said:
Anybody know what exactly they are changing to the LGA departures to avoid the Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows. Also, anybody ever flown into LGA in a Piper Warrior.

Because of the ex-NY Mayor David Dinkins, the most incompetent S.O.B. to ever hold public office. That may have been his only accomplishment as Mayor. Apparently some of his rich, important friends complained about the noise at the US OPen so he got the ball rolling on rectifying the situation via departure flight path changes. I'm glad he was such a fuc*up though or else Mayor Giuliani would have never of been elected!

as214 said:
Because of the ex-NY Mayor David Dinkins, the most incompetent S.O.B. to ever hold public office. That may have been his only accomplishment as Mayor. Apparently some of his rich, important friends complained about the noise at the US OPen so he got the ball rolling on rectifying the situation via departure flight path changes. I'm glad he was such a fuc*up though or else Mayor Giuliani would have never of been elected!

Didn't Dinkins also authorize the City of New York to pay the US Tenis Assoc a fee for every overflight from LGA during the US OPEN? I though I heard something about that on one of the local stations quite a few years ago.
I am sure the City just has extra $$$$ around to pay that instead of fixing schools, potholes.... the list continues.

dalegribble said:
Didn't Dinkins also authorize the City of New York to pay the US Tenis Assoc a fee for every overflight from LGA during the US OPEN? I though I heard something about that on one of the local stations quite a few years ago.
I am sure the City just has extra $$$$ around to pay that instead of fixing schools, potholes.... the list continues.

You heard right..that is correct

Just fly over it, forget the turn and when ATC yells tell them there was a flock of birds or balloons on the 180 heading and you couldn't make the turn. Worked for me anytime I f'd up the Whitestone climb with the Flushing.:rolleyes:

LearLove said:
Just fly over it, forget the turn and when ATC yells tell them there was a flock of birds or balloons on the 180 heading and you couldn't make the turn. Worked for me anytime I f'd up the Whitestone climb with the Flushing.:rolleyes:

Back around the 4th of July I was doing the Whitestone one night right as they were doing the fireworks over the stadium. We kinda delayed the turn and never really made it all the way over to 180, because it sure looked like we'd be going through some flak if we had. ATC was more amused than anything else.

I was watching some of the Tennis last night on TV..seemed like an aircraft was flying over the stadium every 90 seconds...loud enough on TV to be distracting...and to the players...

vnyflyer,

I flew a Warrior into LGA once, back in 1996 so this isn't very current. On that day, airliner arrivals were landing on runway 22 and departures were off runway 31. Approach had me fly direct the LGA VOR, then enter a tight left downwind for 31 with a clearance to make a short approach. They don't want to get you in the flow of higher speed traffic on approach, so they bring you in to land on the runway that aircraft are using for departures. Of course, a short field landing and quick exit helps tower out.

GA parking is at the west side of the field in an area locally known as the "Five Towers." A current taxi diagram is essential and if you get disoriented, QUERY!

You might check AOPA for info on operating at LGA or call NY TRACON. I think they might have a number listed in the Northeast Airport Facilities Directory.

Good luck.

I took off on 13 this morning, right over the stadium.

Fletch

Latest resources

Back