LGA Departures avoiding US Open

vnyflyer

New member
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Posts
3
Total Time
272
Anybody know what exactly they are changing to the LGA departures to avoid the Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows. Also, anybody ever flown into LGA in a Piper Warrior.
 

Flying_Corporal

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2004
Posts
62
Total Time
3K
vnyflyer said:
Anybody know what exactly they are changing to the LGA departures to avoid the Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows.

I noticed today that everyone was doing Flushing climb which doesn't put over the stadium when you depart rwy 13.
 
B

buttercup

vnyflyer said:
Anybody know what exactly they are changing to the LGA departures to avoid the Tennis Center at Flushing Meadows. Also, anybody ever flown into LGA in a Piper Warrior.


Because of the ex-NY Mayor David Dinkins, the most incompetent S.O.B. to ever hold public office. That may have been his only accomplishment as Mayor. Apparently some of his rich, important friends complained about the noise at the US OPen so he got the ball rolling on rectifying the situation via departure flight path changes. I'm glad he was such a fuc*up though or else Mayor Giuliani would have never of been elected!
 

dalegribble

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Posts
110
Total Time
7000
as214 said:
Because of the ex-NY Mayor David Dinkins, the most incompetent S.O.B. to ever hold public office. That may have been his only accomplishment as Mayor. Apparently some of his rich, important friends complained about the noise at the US OPen so he got the ball rolling on rectifying the situation via departure flight path changes. I'm glad he was such a fuc*up though or else Mayor Giuliani would have never of been elected!


Didn't Dinkins also authorize the City of New York to pay the US Tenis Assoc a fee for every overflight from LGA during the US OPEN? I though I heard something about that on one of the local stations quite a few years ago.
I am sure the City just has extra $$$$ around to pay that instead of fixing schools, potholes.... the list continues.
 
B

buttercup

dalegribble said:
Didn't Dinkins also authorize the City of New York to pay the US Tenis Assoc a fee for every overflight from LGA during the US OPEN? I though I heard something about that on one of the local stations quite a few years ago.
I am sure the City just has extra $$$$ around to pay that instead of fixing schools, potholes.... the list continues.


You heard right..that is correct
 

LearLove

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 27, 2001
Posts
4,451
Total Time
12000+
Just fly over it, forget the turn and when ATC yells tell them there was a flock of birds or balloons on the 180 heading and you couldn't make the turn. Worked for me anytime I f'd up the Whitestone climb with the Flushing.:rolleyes:
 

91100 100 set

to the book
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Posts
694
Total Time
12,000
LearLove said:
Just fly over it, forget the turn and when ATC yells tell them there was a flock of birds or balloons on the 180 heading and you couldn't make the turn. Worked for me anytime I f'd up the Whitestone climb with the Flushing.:rolleyes:

Back around the 4th of July I was doing the Whitestone one night right as they were doing the fireworks over the stadium. We kinda delayed the turn and never really made it all the way over to 180, because it sure looked like we'd be going through some flak if we had. ATC was more amused than anything else.
 

rvsm410

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2003
Posts
690
Total Time
1
I was watching some of the Tennis last night on TV..seemed like an aircraft was flying over the stadium every 90 seconds...loud enough on TV to be distracting...and to the players...
 

lowoilpress

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2003
Posts
8
Total Time
5500
vnyflyer,

I flew a Warrior into LGA once, back in 1996 so this isn't very current. On that day, airliner arrivals were landing on runway 22 and departures were off runway 31. Approach had me fly direct the LGA VOR, then enter a tight left downwind for 31 with a clearance to make a short approach. They don't want to get you in the flow of higher speed traffic on approach, so they bring you in to land on the runway that aircraft are using for departures. Of course, a short field landing and quick exit helps tower out.

GA parking is at the west side of the field in an area locally known as the "Five Towers." A current taxi diagram is essential and if you get disoriented, QUERY!

You might check AOPA for info on operating at LGA or call NY TRACON. I think they might have a number listed in the Northeast Airport Facilities Directory.

Good luck.
 

fletch717

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 30, 2001
Posts
589
Total Time
where
I took off on 13 this morning, right over the stadium.

Fletch
 
Top