• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letting a PAX fly?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Doing stalls with your friend is a VERY bad idea. Stalls are not very safe to do with brand new students at your experience level (just getting your private). Even in airplanes that have benine (my guess is this is the case since I would be you wouldn't be wanting to do this if you were flying Cessna 150s) stall characteristics it can be dangerous without the spin training and additional experience that CFI's get.

Your friend will have his hands full the first few times just trying to do some S&L and some turns.

Later

Last edited:
LewisU_Pilot said:
Heck most people I take up dont even want to touch the controls.

Most people i take up freak out when i take my hands of the controls. And i'm talking about airplanes. If the pilot took his hands off the controls in a helo, i'd freak out too. :)

dmspilot00 said:
The only technicality is that neither person can log any flight time during which the passenger is at control, if the passenger is nonrated and you are not a CFI.

Uhm.... no. There is ALWAYS an "acting" PIC on board. Someone who is responsible for the flight. Just because you let someone else fly, doesn't mean you still aren't responsible. There are 3 points that allow you to log PIC - Look it up ;)

mattpilot said:
Uhm.... no. There is ALWAYS an "acting" PIC on board. Someone who is responsible for the flight. Just because you let someone else fly, doesn't mean you still aren't responsible. There are 3 points that allow you to log PIC - Look it up ;)

When YOU have finished looking it up why don't you tell us how the acting PIC of an aircraft only requiring one crewmember can log PIC time when not the sole manipulator of the controls.

Or perhaps, and here's a big hint, you won't be able to, because they can't.

CFIse said:
When YOU have finished looking it up why don't you tell us how the acting PIC of an aircraft only requiring one crewmember can log PIC time when not the sole manipulator of the controls.

Or perhaps, and here's a big hint, you won't be able to, because they can't.

Read FAR 1. Being the PIC has nothing to do with "manipulation". The FAR 1 PIC is not required to ever "manipulate" the controls to log the time.

Yep...not a big deal. I recently made er...let my wife fly an entire trip for dinner. Okay, so I helped with the landing and had her turn on the autopilot after 1,000' on the climbout....but still!

...and if I ever did a stall with her in the plane, she'd be my ex wife...

-mini

JimNtexas said:
Read FAR 1. Being the PIC has nothing to do with "manipulation". The FAR 1 PIC is not required to ever "manipulate" the controls to log the time.

Read FAR 61.51 and you'll see that CFIse has a point. Being PIC and legally logging PIC flight time are two different issues. Except as noted, the FAR 1 PIC cannot log PIC time unless he/she is the sole manipulator of the controls.

The solution is to only let them fly for 3 minutes at a time, so your time off the controls rounds down to 0.0 ;)

JimNtexas said:

What a shame that's not true. FAR 1 has nothing to do with logging PIC time.

You want to read 61.51 for informaiton on LOGGING time. BEING the PIC doesn't mean you can log the time.

Latest resources

Back