Letting a PAX fly?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

polysciguy9

I'm currently working on my private and have a question about passengers I take up after I get my certificate. Is it against any FARs to allow your passenger to "fly" the aircraft for awhile. By "fly" I mean perform a couple turns, climbs and descents while I guide them? My first flight as a kid was during the EAA's Young Eagles program - a guy in a cub took me up and let me perform a few basic maneuvers - this is the extent of flying I'd of course let my pax do.

While I'm sure this is something that most pilots do with a friend riding along in the right seat, I was just wondering if it was illegal if you weren't a CFI.

Thanks for the help!

can i add a question to that, since i'm in the same boat? what about doing a stall at a safe altitude, with a passenger? since starting last week i've done about 10 stalls, 5 power-on and 5 power-off. by no means am i an expert, but is it wise to do a stall w/ a passenger?

Yes, you can let passengers fly, and yes, you can do stalls with passengers.

You are still PIC and will be completely responsible for anything that a passenger does.

Some will some won't.

Most passengers will probably not enjoy a stall, at least make sure and explain the manuever beforehand.

to answer your questions kiddo's

you dont have to be in the left seat to be PIC. and as to doing a stall or what not, i wouldnt recommend it, how did a stall sound to you before you actually started doing them. but if you are both comfortable go for it. you will have to do them on your practice area solos

MTpilot said:
Most passengers will probably not enjoy a stall, at least make sure and explain the manuever beforehand.

Heck most people I take up dont even want to touch the controls.

polysciguy9 said:
Is it against any FARs to allow your passenger to "fly" the aircraft for awhile.

No. The only technicality is that neither person can log any flight time during which the passenger is at control, if the passenger is nonrated and you are not a CFI. Usually it is like 1 or 2 minutes so it is not worth subtracting that time when you go to log it. And, most passengers will never fly with you ever again if you do a stall with them in the airplane.

Letting the pax fly is fine for part 91 ops. Just don't do so if you are ever flying under 135/121. Those operations require you to be company trained and checked before touching any controls (even the radios).

When I first started flying some 30+ years ago, I too thought that my pax would enjoy the things that I did. A well executed stall recovery, steep turns, spins, touch and go landings, etc. (Yes, spins were a normal training manuever back then). Then I realized that most non pilots were very uncomfortable and some even terrifed by these routine manuevers! Most were nervous enough just being airborne in a light plane.

Now I would just concentrate on giving them a smooth, calm flight. Point out a few landmarks on the ground, and of course let them see their house from the air if possible.

If someone is really interested in flying I would let them try a little straight and level.

We let a 7 year old fly the other day at FL430.

Well, atleast thats what she thought... shhh, don't tell her the autopilot was on! ;)

Latest resources

Back