• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Letterman "Top 10" NWA overflight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I DO think this is the FAA attempting to make a bold statement to the public about how 'serious' they are about safety. I also think the punishment is likely out of line given the outcome.

Are you suggesting that the 'punishment' was out of line because they didn't crash? If they didn't respond to dispatch and ATC, how do you know they would have responded to a TCAS RA?

Are you suggesting that the 'punishment' was out of line because they didn't crash? If they didn't respond to dispatch and ATC, how do you know they would have responded to a TCAS RA?

Considering that an RA is pretty loud.... even a TA.... your assumption doesn't hold much water.

The only way they went that long is b/c it was perfectly smooth air on a nice evening with no "distractions."

Considering that an RA is pretty loud.... even a TA.... your assumption doesn't hold much water.

The only way they went that long is b/c it was perfectly smooth air on a nice evening with no "distractions."
Personally, I sleep better with turbulence.

YMMV

;)

Terrain warnings are pretty loud too with flashing lights and everything, I can think of several accidents where pilots had lost their situational awareness and flew right into terrain, I remember one particular accident where the alarm went off 12 times and the guys still flew into a mountain. Gear warning are also pretty loud and still folks land with the gear up, I can think of that time that two test pilots from Canadair where testing a CRJ and even had an FAA guy on the jumpseat and they kept talking about how they had to report the faulty alarm to maintenece after they landed, a gear up landing followed even after the horn and the aural went off several times. When you loose SA the mind works very strangely while you are trying to reengage. The simple truth is that these two guys where completely disengaged and only reengaged because they where interrupted by the call from the F/A, they could have very easily being interrupted by the sound of engines spooling down

I wasn't assuming anything - just asking the question.

Sad. Everyone thought pilots were God after the Hudson, and now we're back to being perceived as idiots again.....

"God" is stretching it. Best case, an underpaid, overworked, never home, commute-missing, furloughed-often "God". What a difference 9 years of $39 fares makes.

Latest resources

Back