Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's talk stopping on the taxiway, setting the brake & doing the after landing SOPs!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
Let's talk stopping on the taxiway, setting the brake & doing the after landing SOPs!

What do you think? Should students be taught to turn off the runway and do their after landing duties while taxiing or should they set the brake and take care of these things then?

Your comments are welcome!

My opinion: definitivly stop at the end of the runway intersection and do things when all the action is over. Or at least slow down considerably and do checklist while just slowly rolling forward and waiting for taxi clearance.

When I rush it and try to turn off lights, turn off transponder and retract flaps while I'm about to turn off the taxiway and contact ground, even if I'm not a student pilot anymore, I find that every now and then, I forget one item because I didnt refer to the checklist, and in any case my attention is needed outside the cockpit when exiting the runway. Trying to contact ground, do the checklist and taxi the airplane at high speed off the runway into an intersection is just too much going on at once, especially for students.

But I see no need to set the park brake...have anyone ever done that?

Still working on my PPL, I have been taught to stop after exiting the runway and go through the post landing checklist. It's just a few items, flaps up, transponder stby, landing lights. The flaps I put up during the landing roll anyway and the transponder automatically goes to standby anyway. So all it really is turning off the landing lights. But yeah I would say, from a student's perspective, to have them stop and run the checklist. I think this emphasizes using the checklist for every phase of flight, even when you're trying to get the plane back to the hangar so that .1 on the hobbes doesn't come around.

UndauntedFlyer said:
What do you think? Should students be taught to turn off the runway and do their after landing duties while taxiing or should they set the brake and take care of these things then?

Your comments are welcome!

I don't think we should verify the throttles by moving the assumed dead one when performing all kinds of single engine fun in a twin! Dead foot dead engine good enough! Who needs VERIFY!

There's been alot of debate here at Riddle about that...but more the takeoff final items than the after-landing. We always stop for after landing, because (a) We're expected to follow SOPs to a T, and (b) The local area is extremely busy with training traffic, and stopping to check is always a good idea.

As far as on takeoff, with private students I usually tell them run through the takeoff flow first, then start rolling. With more advanced students, they should be able to do the final items on the roll. ATC of course prefers the latter of the two. I've seen too many beginner students get rushed, and miss important items on the flow, so that method seems to work better. One of my private students flies often with a buddy of his who flies charter, and he wants to do EVERYTHING on the roll...which works for charter, but not so good when learning a new airplane. I usually tell him Whoooaa hoss....let's stop here and run through that checklist. He'll be a good freight or charter driver one day though:)

The after landing duties for typical trainer airplanes are very limited.

1. Flaps up
2. X-P to off
3. Landing light off (if used)
4. Carb Heat off (if not a F/I engine)
5. Fuel boost pump off (if equipped)
6. Open the window (if it's hot outside)

Personally I think that by stopping to take care of these simple items it is disruptive to ATC and these items are really not that difficult to accomplish while slowly taxiing. No, I don't recommend using a written checklist for these items while still taxiing, but if you think you can accomplish the above items by a flow while taxiing and then re-address them with a written list in the parking checklist it works better for the ATC movement of inbound traffic.

Your questions and/or comments are welcome.

My .02 Cents.....

Will sound dorky but unless it's a short field landing...
I teach my students not to touch ANYTHING until off the runway.
I also do not let them touch anything between two active runways. I
have them wait until we are completely off the runway, have them do
the after landing flow, THEN verify items with the checklist.

If it's really busy, I prefer they keep everything dirty until they are not in anyones way, and they know where they are going on the field.
Ideally they clean up before continuing.

greyhound said:
Will sound dorky but unless it's a short field landing...
I teach my students not to touch ANYTHING until off the runway.
I also do not let them touch anything between two active runways. I
have them wait until we are completely off the runway, have them do
the after landing flow, THEN verify items with the checklist.

If it's really busy, I prefer they keep everything dirty until they are not in anyones way, and they know where they are going on the field.
Ideally they clean up before continuing.

Personally, this is great advice and it gives your student situationall awareness of the fact that there is no hurry to do the after landing duties. Even if they are done in the parking area for most items except maybe carb hear. Great Post.

Depends on the environment. After taxiing off the active, if there is room for a complete stop and an after landing check, than so be it. Where I fly the immeadiate taxi way after the runway is usually pretty packed. I just have the student continue to the initial ramp area, pull off to the side, and run through the procedure. Then we continue on to parking.

If the ramp is to busy then the after landing checks are usually done at a slow taxi speed with the emphasis on safety.

I will always support the theroy of running a through check while stopped after landing. This reinforces the importance of checklist usage espcially for the "primary" student. A "special emphasis" area that is not paid enough attention to it seems like.

This is good to display to the students, but what I really wish I could say is "just get this dam thing to parking, its 112 degrees out here!!"

Run-Up

I know that this thread is about after landing, however when the parking brake was mentioned I wanted to ask about the run-up. Do you teach using the parking brake during the run-up? I've heard some say don't because a brake could lock up or the student may forget the brake. The positive of using the brake would be the airplane will hopefully not start forward if the student comes off of the toe brakes accidentally.

What do you think? Thanks in advance. One school I teach with says yes the other says no.

On exiting the Runway I teach for the student to stop and clean up the aircraft and then taxi to the ramp, however this can cause a problem if there is a lot of air traffic and you have another aircraft wanting to exit the Runway at your taxiway intersection.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back