Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's talk stopping on the taxiway, setting the brake & doing the after landing SOPs!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually, my technique is to always complete the after-landing duties by a flow pattern during a slow taxi, shutdown by a flow pattern and then complete a challenge-response parking checklist as a backup.

If I do need to stop in order to complete the after landing duties, such as when I'm flying an unfamiliar airplane or one that is difficult to taxi safely without my full attention, then I stop once I feel I'm not going to be disruptive to the flow of traffic or disruptive to the needs of ground control or the tower's operations. The after landing duties just don't need to be accomplished immediately after exiting the runway. Stopping right after turning off the runway is often times disruptive to someone.

Last edited:
Depends on the aircraft, really, and the operation. I've seen a lot of pilots attempt to rush though the proceedures by flow, and catch up later. I've seen pilots completing the after start checklist in the climb, and even the before start checklist in the climb.

I fly a definite flow-airplane, and there's little or no stopping coming or going. I ran the flow this year on a departure for a going fire, one side of the cockpit to the other. I omitted the printed checklist, even though I always do a verbal challenge and response when alone in the cockpit or in a crewed cockpit. As I powered up and began the roll, I realized the controls felt stiff, and I found the drop-down internal control lock was in place. Proceedure in that airplane has been to install the lock upon rolling out and slow enough to do so, and remove it prior to locking the tailwheel for takeoff...the control surfaces need the protection.

The result was a takeoff roll with the controls locked. I was able to pop the lock safely and continue (as an abort in that aircraft is very unwise when loaded)...but that's the price of stupidly failing to execute the checklist on my part, at the phase of flight when one should...when I elected to unwisely rely upon flows. Flows that were executed twice; once after landing, once before takeoff (no shutdown inbetween; hot loading, hot refueling).

Checklists are given in phase for a reason. Flow, and back it up with the checklist, but executing the checklist when it should be executed instead of waiting until the aircraft is completely over that phase of flight is unwarranted, in my opinion.

I got tied up on a drop recently which was a formation run down a long canyon into the sun with high terrain close on all sides, to hit a target that was hidden in a surprise turn at the last minute on the bottom. Again, I concentrated on the flow and the run-in, and there was a lot going on. At the bottom of the run, I applied power and the temperature came up, indicating gas generator operation, but no torque was available. No power; I'd experienced an engine failure. I glanced down to check that the fuel boost and ignitors were on, and they were not...they would have been had I executed the checklist prior to joining up with the other tanker on the run.

I turned them on quickly, and fortunately it wasn't lack of fire or fuel that caused my engine failure. I had a catastrauphic failure with a failed bearing seal that ported all my oil overboard...but imagine if it had been a fuel flow issue or flame issue...my failure to execute the checklist, despite mitigating circumstances, would have meant the impossibility of a relight were it required at an extremely critical time. The flow didn't catch it; flow backed up by the checklist, verbally, would have.

I preach and teach risk elimination; had I executed the checklist, I would have eliminated that risk. I'm a firm believer in use of the checklist when it's called for in it's appropriate phase of flight or ground ops...even if that means continuing the checklist during the taxi. My own stupid mistakes and behavior keep reinforcing this; with luck I'll learn the lesson before it hurts me one day. I hope the same for everyone else.

As students advance to a two pilot operation, you don't really want them in the habit of taxiing and doing a checklist do you? IMO the flow while taxiing (single pilot), followed up by a written checklist is a great method, I don't think the FAA would have a problem with that, just my 2 cents.

I don't have a problem with a student advancing to a two pilot operation doing a checklist while rolling...or a student in a single pilot situation executing the checklist while rolling. If the opportunity to stop is available, this is better...but I've always executed the checklist on the out loud with a challenge and response when alone, and a student can too...and can do it on the roll if properly taught.

Stopping just isn't possible at some locations, nor is it a real-world form of operating in those locations.

I would rather see the emphasis on the checklist completion stresed, rather than the need to stop to execute it.

After all, we don't pull over in flight when executing a checklist, do we?

I don't think it really matters as long as you teach your student to get off the active as quickly as possible. The only time I taught a student to wait was when I was giving a complex endorsement and I wanted them to verify with me that it was the flap they were getting ready to put up.

Are we talking about LGA on a Friday afternoon? Better keep it moving.

I think it also brings up if a student pilot should rely on flows or written checklists too. I use both now, flows for T/O but when I do the run-up I use the written checklist.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back