• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let's Start an Airline-Hypothetically

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hiring mins are expected to be high due to their idea that their ideal crew would be headed by two Captains, alternating crew days in the PIC/SIC position. That being said they will start with highly experienced Captains and FOs. Upgrade times are expected to take two years from FO to Captain. Having two captains on board will be used, along with high levels of customer service, to seperate themselves from their competition.

ROFLAO ! - I love it...:D

3 5 0

Thanks a lot astra.

Astra Guy said:
The investors are adament about keeping their workforce non-union and are willing to pay above median scale to accomplish this.

Due to your airline experience and apparent business knowledge from testing they want you to join their team. Your input will help establish pay rates, upgrade times, work rules, benefits etc., as a minimum but they are also looking for input in all areas of their operation.

I don't do fantasy football, fantasy NASCAR, nor airlines and I'm not about to start.

So I'll just give this for free. If you want to keep the unions away, remember that quality of life means more than money. If you develop a system of work rules that guarantees X number of days off (I suggest a minimum of 13), and guarantees a minimun number of days off in a row ( I suggest that you attempt to schedule days off in blocks of five, but never lower than four), you will be well on the way to having a happy productive work force.

I would stay away from the daily rotating Captain concept. It might work if you rotated months, but not days. Additionally, your training/checking costs would go up by about 25%,and I doubt that your CFO would approve.

good luck,
enigma

Enigma,

I appreciate your suggestions. I am sure that you have brought up some valid points.

My idea for starting this little exercise is, for all those that are interested, to have a way to bring up their individual ideas concerning all aspects of a startup airline. There might be some ideas that might help someone in your business.

There surely is no obligation required from anyone to join in or follow this thread. And I would say that if there is some input that I would just ask that people be respectful of the ideas proposed.

If this thread does not reflect any interest then it will die a natural death. It won't hurt my feelings.

Fly Safely!

Astra,

So where is this "airline" going to be located at? What type fleet are you anticipating. It should be a common as possible. And does this have anything to do with Dr. Robbert Kapps at Southern Illinois University?

I think schedules should be something like 4 on 7 off... you would have them lined up to the moon for that. Salary and not hourly, except for extra day pay if you feel like picking up more days. Based in the northwest.... because of the better scenery. Maybe some south pacific flights thrown in for fun.

ShadowFlight said:
What about 4 on, 4 consecutive off?

4 on, 4 off is ok, but remember, you're trying to build an airline that will keep the unions away. 4 on, 4 off schedules are acceptable for those who live in base, but stink for commuters. For commuters, five day off stretches increase your home time by around 30% compared with 4-4. That's a significant factor in QOL. Before anyone chimes in with some drivel about it being a pilots choice to commute, please remember that bases are not stable. Even when a pilot intends to move to his base, sometimes that base changes and your in-base pilot becomes a commuter. Especially in a growing company.

regards,
enigma

Nice

While all this pilot talk is nice for the airline, I am more interested the Rate of return on assets and investment.

If I am elected to the board, very little of my time is going to be invested in pilot programs. Much mor e will go into what we can produce if we are successful in producing an air mile at a decent buck.

If we cannot discertain what is to be gained if we operate effectively, then what super considerate program we have for oour employes is not much of a consideration.

Publishers...

all that stuff is nice and all, but our job (as stated in the original post) was to create a pilot friendly environment, it had nothing to do with making money. Remember, we have already been guaranteed 5 years of operation. Lets act like the other airlines and work for 4 and a half years and then scramble to try to stay alive 6 months further down the road. Sounds fun to me.

Now if we were asked to be investors then i would go your route.

Seems that key considerations, like what markets to serve, how to attract customers, negotiating fuel contracts, gates, ground support equipment, and all the personnel to run it need discussing and planning too.

I don't think that the majors are going out of business because they can't schedule pilots to everyone's satisfaction.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back