Let's Start an Airline-Hypothetically

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Start Up Costs

One thing you ahve to do is put together a budget of start up costs for the airline. This amount will be capitalized with the gain of certification.

When I used to do it, we could get a certificate for about $500k and it took about 6 months. That was doing it the really cheap but effective was. After ValuJet crash, that number changed to about $1.1m and over a year for final certification.

The question is what amount of money do you want to spend on all these other things prior to certification.

The spreadsheet that I have goes over the startup costs and increases as you go. It also looks at the various aircraft and figures how many crews you need for the flying projected. It has been some time since I messed with it but it was a good starting place.

We need to look at startup funding as well as whether we intend to go public soon or involve the public with funding through equipment trusts.

When I did this, we had a professional certification team. That team manned all the mandatory positions plus all the crew positons for the proving runs. Our people conducted the first traininng classes for flight attendants and our students had an average of twelve years in the industry.

You also need some professional manual writers. It is not enough to try and copy other books. It si an art and then the people involved need to read them.

This approach will allow your core real people to concentrate on what your real objective is. Setting up the business side. All the people I had are going to resign at certification so you need to have the back ups, the real people for the jobs, working on the policies and procedures and the planning. Ecxecutives need to address all the route and airport issues.

I think you will find this method the most cost efficient in the long run.

Publishers,

It sounds like your spreadsheet could be very helpful in establishing a number of financial considerations.

As for the going public question let's go on this premise. We have five private investors, who have agreed within themselves to get this thing off of the ground while providing an equal share of monies throughout what now will be six years. Each in their own right have been very financially savvy and have given to philanthropic causes in the past and continue to do so. They each have an axe to grind with a legacy carrier, in one way or another. In each case either they themselves, or one of their immediate family members has been unfairly treated while working for a legacy carrier as an employee. They have no intentions of ever going public.

Due to the unfair treatment in the past they are now on a mission. They desire to prove that an airline can be financially successful while providing the best in customer service, uphold the highest standards in safety and reliability, and still treat their associates well. This is similar to JetBlue with a twist.

They are willing to give this board a year or longer, if necessary to get this act together.

Shadow,

From what I have gleened from your research and from other sources I believe the 757 is the best choice. However, we should be willing to entertain other options if someone can come forward with an airframe that fills the bill of seating capacity, range, efficiency and reliability that beats this aircraft.

Let's presume this. Our investors are all American. They would reluctantly consider the Airbus series if we can prove undeniably that it beats the Boeing in all of these areas.

They want to keep their and ultimately our money in the states. They are just patriotic that way. Buy Amerucun!.....you know the mentality.

Just about now your employee's have all filed for representation by the NMB. The vote will be pretty soon and you will be sent to the table to negociate a tough contract. Have fun.

Turbo,

But....but...but....we don't have any employees yet...only a partially filled board. The whole point of this is to setup an airline where there would be no reason for any NMB involvement. If, after our study and business plan is drawn up it is not viable to succeed with our expectations intact then we will only have the board members to sever. And they all have a contract with the founders, iron-clad.

Heck we would even bet that besides the furloughed pilots we could woo many from their current jobs in other carriers, and not starting at the bottom, either. The model will be that solid.

I do however, understand your cynicism.

funding

Without knowing the funding, it is hard to come up with the aircraft plan. Why?

Look at the history books. Many of our competitive carriers started when there were cheap aircraft available. Those that did not came from deals with aircraft manufacturers. Such an example would be Jetblue who put together a sweetheart package for the Airbuses.

If we really want to legitimately start an operation, we need to look at the desert and see what is out there. If there are a bunch of idol 737-300's, then we need to look at those.

Perhaps what we need to see is how much our "investors" have to put up. Is it unlimited or is there some cap?

Shoot, you guys work slow. I figured that with 4 pages you at least had one or two airplanes operational. Obviously I havn't taken the time to read the post.

point

757 may or may not be the aircraft, the question is can you afford them. That was my original question. Are they available at a reasonable cost in the number you need. Have they been on a maintenance program compatible with yours. Do you even have one. What does the manuals say we have.?

Run head to head with SWA in the West using 717's which can be picked up for about $22 million with 80 seats. Call it a no frills Midwest Express.

Any takers....Call it the new PSA....

Use ERJ-135's with 19 business class seats for regional service. The margins are high enough to support such and operation. Already have the numbers. Code share with DL, NWAC and CO to sell first class connection seats at LAX. Average fare for OO and AE out of LAX is about $79 a seat each way. This kind of config would cost about $39 each way for the airline with 10-15% profit margin.

As for the 717. Due to the short hops, your margin would be 7-9% using SWA's fare structure. Of course, you could charge a $5 premium for the space and comfort giving you a 10-15% margin, but no one really cares about comfort anymore do they.... Yeah right.

Biggest savings come from a new staff resulting in lower wages, better fuel consumption, and high aircraft utilization. Of course you could use CRJs in a 40 seat config with better leg room, but the costs are a smidgen higher for regional ops.

Oh yeah, and the stews.... Short Skirts and Go Go Boots.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back