• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let the rumours FLY ....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I want to thank you and everyone else working OT for your support knowing that you are doing everything possible to cover the trips with min. crews while I'm on the street. :rolleyes:

If you are truely a furloughed NJA pilot, I wish you quick recall. As such, you would know there is no choice or "volunteering" when OT is assigned. The only way to NOT do OT is to fatigue or DNIF. If I or my crewmate is tired, WE fatigue. If I'm sick, I DNIF. If not, I will not jeapordize my position and family livelyhood engaging in unethical behavior in a foolish attempt to force recalls. If that's selfish in the minds of some, so be it.

There is little a line pilot can do under the current CBA. If company were to request volunteers for extending, then I would have issue and hope our union would agree that was unacceptable and lobby for recalls. As it is, there are protections in place limiting selloffs, and until company approaches that limit, and crews find themselves overextended and fatigue more, and after midnights drive costs above the cost of increasing the current workforce, and sales increase, and........., there will unfortunately be no recalls.

Please don't play into management's hand and grow resentful to your collegues because we who are still employed had ZERO to do with the furlough. In fact, I've never seen a group step up in an effort to prevent the inevitable like they did. All we can do is our best to keep and attract new customers. That will help get you back faster than any other "action".

Last edited:
Have unions really been stripped of all their power in this country?

In a word…yes.

If you are truely a furloughed NJA pilot, I wish you quick recall. As such, you would know there is no choice or "volunteering" when OT is assigned. The only way to NOT do OT is to fatigue or DNIF. If I or my crewmate is tired, WE fatigue. If I'm sick, I DNIF. If not, I will not jeapordize my position and family livelyhood engaging in unethical behavior in a foolish attempt to force recalls. If that's selfish in the minds of some, so be it.

There is little a line pilot can do under the current CBA. If company were to request volunteers for extending, then I would have issue and hope our union would agree that was unacceptable and lobby for recalls. As it is, there are protections in place limiting selloffs, and until company approaches that limit, and crews find themselves overextended and fatigue more, and after midnights drive costs above the cost of increasing the current workforce, and sales increase, and........., there will unfortunately be no recalls.

Please don't play into management's hand and grow resentful to your collegues because we who are still employed had ZERO to do with the furlough. In fact, I've never seen a group step up in an effort to prevent the inevitable like they did. All we can do is our best to keep and attract new customers. That will help get you back faster than any other "action".

Unfortunately I am one of the 495, feel free to pm me if you wish to have this conversation further and I will give you my info on njpilots.org as I don’t want to go too far in depth on a public forum. And thank you for your wishes.

I completely agree with you that with our working conditions and CBA that there are very few “options” as far as refusing a trip. I am in no way suggesting any kind of unethical behavior to jeopardize the long term future of NJA. I want to be called back soon but to a HEALTHIER company. To my surprise, after working for NJA it turned into my “dream job” and I want it to stay that way when I return.

Now having said that when I hear guys are doing “well” with OT and extended days, it does bring my blood to a boil. In my opinion, guys should not be working any “harder” than they were before the furlough. Getting the job done should not include flying over 12, working through vacation time and readily “accepting” trips knowingly they will not come close to coming home without and extended day. Make no mistake; the company will use this time to “adjust” the minimum crews needed if guys are consistently going above and beyond what was known as the norm before. (Of course not below the 5.5 min per a/c required in the CBA, but you get my drift)

Don’t get me wrong, I am by no means getting resentful towards my colleagues as I am eternally grateful to those that sacrificed during the preventive measures program. Circumstances of the economy and past management practices have made this inevitable and I’m not blind to that. But also let’s not forget that the hard work and dedication of the guys that are on the street is part of the reason you enjoy the “job security” you have today. (if there is such a thing)

RJ,

I can't speak for others, but until the 495 are recalled I will politely refuse Crew Resources requests to go out early or stay out late on planned extended tours (as many crews are this week due to the holiday weekend and Olympics). That is my choice to make but I won't denigrate crewmembers that choose to work extended days. In fact, there will be times when scheduling asks me to stay out an extra day in order to complete a trip that would otherwise incur a large airline expense and it will be my obligation to the financial health of the company to do so. Each person must make their own decision on both scores. As for hourly overtime beyond 12, we still don't receive it so it is a moot point for NJI.

Bottom line: Planned OT? Not for me. Unplanned OT? Gonna happen and I don't have a problem with it.

Also, a 2004 (6 year) hire at NJ is a captain unless he choose to pass it up. Admittedly, the CA/FO ratio at NJ is skewed toward the CA side now.

This was posted before I realized that there was another page in the thread. Doesn't change the fact though.

Last edited:
Well I want to thank you and everyone else working OT for your support knowing that you are doing everything possible to cover the trips with min. crews while I'm on the street. :rolleyes:

No need to thank me. I was hired in 2007...
Wasn't talking about extended days, either. Just the company-issued daily overtime that no one has a choice about. Non-discretionary OT.

No need to thank me. I was hired in 2007...
Wasn't talking about extended days, either. Just the company-issued daily overtime that no one has a choice about. Non-discretionary OT.

That's cool, I guess I took your post out of context. My bad

RJ: Of course not below the 5.5 min per a/c required in the CBA, but you get my drift.

ME: Be thankful your company isn't eyeing a 3.8 pilot/aircraft ratio.

Latest resources

Back