• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legal Way to pad logbook

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem is when HR hires pilots. They look at the checklist of hiring a pilot candidate because they are not one. Applicants get the 'gouge' and then perform during the curtain call. Pilots need to hire pilots. They speak the language and can recognize BS.

Ual 1996

The problem is when HR hires pilots. They look at the checklist of hiring a pilot candidate because they are not one. Applicants get the 'gouge' and then perform during the curtain call. Pilots need to hire pilots. They speak the language and can recognize BS.
Like the HR question, "Why did you get a "C" in Differential Equations in the Spring of 63?" What does that have to do with anything about flying an airplane?

Has anyone ever heard of a regional, or major, airline actually investigating a persons time? I do not advocate padding a logbook, but not one of the nine airlines I have interviewed with have ever done more than flip through a few pages of my logbook and then review the totals on my application.

Like the HR question, "Why did you get a "C" in Differential Equations in the Spring of 63?" What does that have to do with anything about flying an airplane?

Not just HR guys who do that. I had a Continental Express captain in 2001 harp on me about my "C" in my high school fresman math class in 1985. Apparently my stating that my grades from the last three years of high school and all through college were a far better representation of my study habbits did not impress him all that much.

Has anyone ever heard of a regional, or major, airline actually investigating a persons time? I do not advocate padding a logbook, but not one of the nine airlines I have interviewed with have ever done more than flip through a few pages of my logbook and then review the totals on my application.[/QUOTE's]

Where you hired at all nine? No, none will go through the effort of spending extra time, money and effort to research any deeper into an applicant's records than they have to. The usual recourse if something erroneous is to put a black X on the file and toss it into the rejected pile. If a hired pilot has passed probation but gives cause to have management take a closer look at his/her past, they might do so if they really want to nail them. We've have a couple of cases where pilots were fired for lying due to "mistakes" on their application. Neither go their job back.

Has anyone ever heard of a regional, or major, airline actually investigating a persons time? I do not advocate padding a logbook, but not one of the nine airlines I have interviewed with have ever done more than flip through a few pages of my logbook and then review the totals on my application.

Yes. I flew with instructor who had gone through the HR process at American Airlines. He had been furloughed. This instructor had every employer contacted. He found out because one of his old managers at a defunct flight school was tracked down and interviewed. Apparently the ex manager guy was now working at home depot. Unfortunately we don't have that kind of scrutiny 91/135 there are a lot of pilots with questionable backgrounds and ability levels that don't match their claimed experience level.

Our 300 hour pilots were indeed technically proficient and quite knowledgeable. They were great when things were routine. The results weren't quite as satisfactory when things turned ugly. It takes experience for a pilot to keep flying the aircraft, regardless of procedures and regulations when they lose an engine on take-off into a dark and stormy night. One thing we never train for is compound emergencies and other convoluted situations. It takes experience for a pilot to prevail in situations such as these. We've had several ASAP and other safety reports noting this problem and I've had a young, low-time FO lock up on me during a tense situation after lightening strike.

Major differences between the 300 hour military pilot and a 300 hour pilot factory pilot include the screening requirements, the type and quality of the training and, sometimes, the level of maturity.

This isn't a slam against civilian pilots. I've known many great pilots who never flew in the military. My point is simply to point out that those who pay for their training vary greatly in quality and ability while those who are selected and thoroughly screened through a rigid process provide more consistent high results.

Military pilots are very good, but they're not any more capable than properly trained civilian pilots. I've flown with both for many hours.

The two not supposedly equal. Yes generally the college degreed person will be more knowledgeable, but we all know very bright non-college grads, and extremely unknowledgeable college grads. Beside college has nothing to do wwith flyign an airplane, only in getting the interview amongst the HR snobs.

I agree!

yes, but uniformity

Military pilots are very good, but they're not any more capable than properly trained civilian pilots. I've flown with both for many hours.
But normally you are dealing with a know quantity when hiring a military pilot. Because of their screening and training, it is pretty much a uniform product. Out of approximately 100 military hires in the last 12 years, if have had one training failure. Out of around 225 civil only hires we have had 27 training failures. So yes many civil pilots are equal or better than military pilots, it just you sometimes don't know what you are getting when hiring a civilian.

Latest resources

Back