Legal Way to pad logbook

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What!!!!???

Pilotyip is spot on. One of the most important qualifications would be a college degree. If you don't have one you have no business in a sophisticated aircraft. I think an MS degree should be required!

Kudos to you pilotyip!
You have to be kidding, right, college degree required for flying to pilotyip. Is this guy trying to start something.

flt time does not determine the ability of a pilot, training does, training if properly done can substitue for expereince. Back to my military example 900 hour Aircraft Commanders flying world wide. But we are going to turn flt time into a regulation and limit the ability to hire the right guy. BTW our 300 hour "All ATP" training pilots did a great job. solid IFR skills into busy airports.

Our 300 hour pilots were indeed technically proficient and quite knowledgeable. They were great when things were routine. The results weren't quite as satisfactory when things turned ugly. It takes experience for a pilot to keep flying the aircraft, regardless of procedures and regulations when they lose an engine on take-off into a dark and stormy night. One thing we never train for is compound emergencies and other convoluted situations. It takes experience for a pilot to prevail in situations such as these. We've had several ASAP and other safety reports noting this problem and I've had a young, low-time FO lock up on me during a tense situation after lightening strike.

Major differences between the 300 hour military pilot and a 300 hour pilot factory pilot include the screening requirements, the type and quality of the training and, sometimes, the level of maturity.

This isn't a slam against civilian pilots. I've known many great pilots who never flew in the military. My point is simply to point out that those who pay for their training vary greatly in quality and ability while those who are selected and thoroughly screened through a rigid process provide more consistent high results.

You have to be kidding, right, college degree required for flying to pilotyip. Is this guy trying to start something.

Ok, so hours don't really matter and evidently intelligence does not either. What criteria should we use? Eye color :)

Us, pre 9-11er's are kinda stuck with this career. Believe me, it's not what it used to be.

You're never "stuck" in a career. I've known too many people that made career changes late in life to believe that. You may be too comfortable, or living beyond your means, but that's a different story. If this industry doesn't turn around in a couple of years, I will be changing careers (again).

college = intelligence?

Ok, so hours don't really matter and evidently intelligence does not either. What criteria should we use? Eye color :)
The two not supposedly equal. Yes generally the college degreed person will be more knowledgeable, but we all know very bright non-college grads, and extremely unknowledgeable college grads. Beside college has nothing to do wwith flyign an airplane, only in getting the interview amongst the HR snobs.

The two not supposedly equal. Yes generally the college degreed person will be more knowledgeable, but we all know very bright non-college grads, and extremely unknowledgeable college grads. Beside college has nothing to do wwith flyign an airplane, only in getting the interview amongst the HR snobs.

Yip, you started this thread with a wonderful idea on how to game the system by "padding your logbook," then you continue to defend it by taking managements' role by saying, "hey, he has XX amount of hours so the regulation is complied with," then you call the HR people snobs when they select someone for an interview based on a college degree.

Thread drift?

Yip, you started this thread with a wonderful idea on how to game the system by "padding your logbook," then you continue to defend it by taking managements' role by saying, "hey, he has XX amount of hours so the regulation is complied with," then you call the HR people snobs when they select someone for an interview based on a college degree.
You suppose this is the result of thread drift.

Eah Boy, College Degrees are way overrated and I have two...

A comment on flight hours, during my CFI days we did alot of 5 and 7 day ATP crash courses for military types that came to us from a pair local AFB.

They were mostly C-130 and Tanker drivers, with an occasional B-52 and a J-Stars pilot. But all of them came to us with bare minimums 1500 for the ATP.

They were some of the best 1500 hour pilots I've ever seen and at the time I also prepared some of my fellow CFI's for their ATP rides and the difference between the two were night and day.

Latest resources

Back