Legacy Bashfest - Bring it on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ERJ-140 said:
And if you are so good at "Basic Radar Techniques" Dangerkitty, pray tell how you could miss spotting a Level 4 with any radar? Was the radar inop? The point in explaining all of that is...though the techniques may be basic, one would be extremely surprised to see how rarely people use them. Radar training is often given short shrift, and being lazy with radar on an EMB can get you in trouble more so than an airplane with a "more precise," "better," or "more powerful" wx radar can. The 737 radar is light years ahead of the EMB radar. I completely agree the EMB radar could be better. It could. It should be. It isn't, though, and we are forced to learn to use what we have.

Again, the EMB radar doesn't suck, it's just different. You have to know how to use it.

ERJ-140,

I have tried to tell you a million times but I will go through it one more time.
Back in 1998-1999 when I was flying the EMB-145 we had major major major problems with the radar. It wasn't just me, it was all of Continental Express Airlines. Since Continental Express was the launch customer for this POS airplane you love so much Honeywell, Embraer, and COEX all got together to come up with a fix for the radar problem. We tried everything known to man to get this thing to work and we still had problems. When I left COEX to go to a major the problems had yet to be resolved. Being that COEX was/is an airline that is in the business to fly passengers and make money they would just put a band-aid on the problem in hopes that it would go away. To my knowledge, it never did.

Let me state this again. When I left Continental Express Airlines there were major problems with the radar. So much so that our VP of Flight Ops made a special voicemail to the pilots about it. We had about 1800 pilots when I left COEX. I dont think he would do it for that many pilots unless we were having major issues with it.

Furthermore, your "radar shadows" theory is absolute bunk. A radar shadow is a radar shadow. You can't pull shadows out of precip. IT CAN'T BE DONE!
A shadow is something you avoid at all costs becuase the precip is so strong that the radar can't give you information of whats on the other side. All the AUTO tilts, AUTO gains, manual gains, and moving the radar up and down will do nothing if the precip is that strong. It wont be able to see anything on the other side.

ERJ-140: My experience speaks for itself.

I flew for COEX for 3 and 1/2 years and flew the EMB-145 for over 2.
I was hired by two major airlines:
American Airlines and Delta Airlines
I have since been flying a Lear 60 after furlough and am in the process of getting typed in a bigger aircraft for a new company.
I am typed in 5 airplanes and about to be typed in a 6th.

I have been through countless classes on radar. The American Airlines radar class is probably the best I have ever been in and I have attended that class over 5 times.

I think I have just a little clue as to what I am talking about.

On the other hand you state you are typed in the B-737. When asked very simple questions about the aircraft you dodge the question and dont even answer. That is why you have no credibility here. Every other day you are caught in a new lie.

Why dont you tell us about your B-737 type. Where were you typed and what do you know about the B-737?

The ball is in you court.

Latest resources

Back