• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leaving the industry completely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TPIC is that TURBINE PIC? ...............As a CFI? ........Man I did it ALL wrong!

I jumped in 2007. My advice would be to keep a mostly aviation resume. Maybe massage some points to 'ability to learn complex things', 'work as a team', etc. Get the jargon out. The key is to get interviews. People outside aviation are interested. They understand the commitment and skill, it's convincing you're leaving for good that's the challenge. Give stories of yourself or friends that have been 'screwed' if you don't think they believe you.
From what I see, the current generation has, in general, low initiative. This freaks many smaller companies out, bigtime. They don't want people they have to guide/babysit. I'm in no way saying this generation is lazy, but they generally don't fit well to type A companies. Target will have trouble seeing your worth. Again, in general, fast-paced, decision making businesses are a better fit.

I work in transportation/shipping, and I got lucky and got out at the right time and got promoted in short order, but I think I've been luckier than most. I've set my alarm clock three times in the last four years, and I actually think I'm going to retire earlier now than when I was flying. It's a bit scary for some, but if you're committed, it can work. Good luck.

I jumped in January after a furlough. It took over a year to find a job of any sort, aviation included. I got VERY lucky in that the job I do now was already filled, but the person hired before me didn't pass the background check. They saw "pilot" on my resume and figured I'd pass and needed someone in the seat yesterday, so I got the job. Keep that in mind if you're currently flying something.

Otherwise, PM me and I'll see about emailing what my non-aviation resume so you can see what I did. You'll have to tailor your resume for each job you apply even for different positions within the same company.

They WILL ask why you want out of the cockpit, and if you're going back (I even got this at an interview for Wal-Mart... Try keeping your self esteem walking out of that place after interviewing for a $11 / job)..... There are numerous answers, the best in my opinion being the family answer. If you have small kids, even better. I was able to sell it by saying I wanted to spend the next few years bringing my son with me to work and dropping him off at the school next door to the office, then picking him up after school..... More time together. Seemed to work even with the "we need someone now".

The last thing, when you get into a non-aviation job, bust hump everyday. It's up to us to give pilots a good name for the next time a mass furlough hits and other guys are on the street looking for work. Pilots can do anything. We have to prove that.

Jumped Ship in 08 from Colgan, sick and tired of commuting and Crash Pads for 21k a year..got my JAVA Certification (since I loved computers anyhow) cleared 68k last year, and I'm still considered an entry-level programmer!!(can't wait until I have about 3 more years experience, the pay is outstanding) .......life is good, still flight instruct on the side, but I will never return to Aviation other than instructing

I would say to look into the resume writing service's also, but I did once and it was not all I'd hoped it would be. Re-writing an aviation resume, I would lean more to a management/leadership theme, i.e.; managed fuel, engines....systems. Managed weather, routing and everything is time critical. Think about all the support directly and in-directly that it takes and how you fit into it.
I made the leap in 06 for a year and it was working ok, but just ok, so I got sucked back in. So here I still am. Good luck to you. I'm sure you will do well.

Someone posted this on a Comair-related forum, and I thought it might be helpful to think of some of these things as you prepare your resume....

Don't focus on what you can't do, focus on what you can. Or to put it another way, argue for your limitations and they will become yours.

I fly with a lot of pilots who tell me "This is all I've ever done, I don't know how to do anything else." To them I say this:

As airline pilots, so many skills and abilities become so ingrained in our nature over time, we forget we have them. Let me remind you about some of the skills and abilities you have that you may not realize...

You have the ability to multitask.

You have the ability to follow complicated written procedures precisely.

You have the ability to work in a team environment.

You have the ability to evaluate situations and make good decisions based on the information you've collected.

You have demonstrated a level of high responsibility for a multi-million dollar piece of equipment.

You have the ability to work under pressure.

You have the ability to remain professional when dealing with the public.

You have the ability to represent your employer in a positive manner when the customer's perception of your employer is poor.

You have the ability to lead when necessary, and follow when appropriate.

You can dress in a professional manner.

You understand what "professionalism" means...at least most of us.

You have a demonstrated ability to function at a high level of autonomy in a complex environment, yet you still know when to recognize the need for, and utilize help when it is required.

YOU HAVE A DEMONSTRATED ABILITY TO SOLVE PROBLEMS.

I put that in caps because it is critical in the business world. A wise Comair pilot once shared with me the following:

"One is paid commensurate with one's ability to solve problems."

These are some of the skills and abilities we use every day as airline pilots. As a business owner, I can tell you without reservation that these skills have value in the business world.

In summary...don't sell yourself short. Though Comair actively works to devalue the skills and abilities you bring to their operation, those skills have tremendous value nonetheless.

How many other employers out there can claim to have a workforce of 1477 scattered throughout the U.S. directly responsible to only eight supervisors?

You are an asset that has value outside the airline industry.

Last edited:
My wife has been through a few interviews where the company was impressed by her commercial pilot qualifications. In fact, it made her stand out above other applicants who might have had a college degree and she didn't.

As has been demonstrated in this thread, interviews are all about how you spin what you've learned and what your job is day to day. We all know that flying an airplane is usually the easy part.

If you need to come to a board to find ways to explain to employers why your leaving then your probably not ready to leave. Isn't it obvious? It sucks.

I am not looking for a reason to leave. I am looking for a way to explain leaving without going on a total rant.

Most people think that as an F.O. at Mesa I make 250K and work 3 days a month.

So why do you want to leave your job as a pilot and make 60K here? UH cause that is double what I make at Mesa.

I can return to this industry when the attrition starts and be a regional F.O. if the move turns out to be wrong. That is what I am right now. No good reason to stay.

My guess is he was a captain displaced to the right seat, happened to a friend of mine over there.

7+ years. More than 20 recomendations. Not one legacy or LCC that I dont have an internal rec. I am a regional F.O. at Mesa. Can't hold captain. Failed medical in China. Failed simulator at Emirates. Rejected by a legacy and an LCC this year.

I think as pilots we unfairly pigeonhole ourselves. As a whole...the majority of the pilots I have come across are above average in the intelligence department. Don't look down upon your experience in this field. Keep your chin up.

Latest resources

Back