Leaving the industry completely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A-V-8

I know that this might not be the best place to get advice from people who successfully made a leap from the industry however I know that some of you guys have certainly left the industry at least temporarily for other employment due to furloughs and shutdowns etc….

My resume and cover letter are mostly polished off however for my last 9 years of employment I have only that I was an airline pilot yada yada yada. I sent my stuff to my sister who liked most of it however she mentioned that as a pilot I worked with dispatchers, flight attendants, maintenance, and other flight crew members. Quite a team that it takes to make an airplane fly.

The trouble is that I don’t really know how to translate what I do now into language that would impress a would be Resume Reader at a would be corporation. Additionnally she said that people are generally impressed with airplanes. What would I say about a CRJ?
So can you guys float me some ideas on what to put on the Resume regarding what I do now as a 121 pilot to translate what I do into something that will impress a would be HR person at company X.

Also I anticipate hearing this question or some variation of it. Why are you leaving the airline? You know that this job tops out at XX $ per year right. Without going off on a total rant how do you answer that question?

Thanks in advance to anyone who makes a sincere reply.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where you live, but you might look around the nearest mid to large city near you for resume writing services. You can look online for ratings and reviews and credentials, but they cost anywhere from $200-$400+, but they can interview you to get your experience and all of the pertinent information about your experience and the industries to which you want to apply and construct a resume and cover letter that you can use and modify for different positions. They are hit or miss, so do check around online first, but they are a viable option and can fix any "infelicities" in your resume.

You could say that you're leaving because there is too much time away from home or too inconsistent a schedule. Almost any employer you go to will probably have a more normal schedule.

If you need to come to a board to find ways to explain to employers why your leaving then your probably not ready to leave. Isn't it obvious? It sucks.

find a resume writing service. pref someone that writes pilot resumes. they would know best what your skills, strengths and weaknesses are. spend a few bucks for your new career. good look bro

I am a Mesa FO with 2K TPIC. If I regret the leap I can replace what I have now when the attrition starts easily. Good time to test the water.

Curious how you have 2000 hours PIC.

Latest resources

Back