• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leaving the industry completely

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the responses guys. I may put some bullets on here after the resume is complete. From what’s out front and the PMs I have a nice looking set of bullets. I just need to refine them into a paragraph.

how the hell do you fail a chinese medical? If anything is wrong with you its probably their fault anyway since they've been painting your legos with lead and mercury since you were a child.

7+ years. More than 20 recomendations. Not one legacy or LCC that I dont have an internal rec. I am a regional F.O. at Mesa. Can't hold captain. Failed medical in China. Failed simulator at Emirates. Rejected by a legacy and an LCC this year.

You should have gone to LA TECH!!!! Lol just jokin man, I feel your pain. Hit that dream/all I ever wanted to do ceiling. I'm afraid I maybe there myself!!!!

I left the a regional airline as a captain 18 months ago. I started my own business related to computers. The first year was difficult, but Im make a decent living now and the freedom is great. I spend every weekend and holiday with friends and family. Its also nice to not set the alarm clock for 4:30 am. I also have more stability and more earning potential. I do not miss professional flying AT ALL! In 12 years of flying I never had a job that made me happy. Constant abuse by each employer. I miss the flying part sometimes, but can always freelance instruct or rent a plane. Save your family, health, financial future, and your sanity! Get the hell out!

I left the a regional airline as a captain 18 months ago. I started my own business related to computers. The first year was difficult, but Im make a decent living now and the freedom is great. I spend every weekend and holiday with friends and family. Its also nice to not set the alarm clock for 4:30 am. I also have more stability and more earning potential. I do not miss professional flying AT ALL! In 12 years of flying I never had a job that made me happy. Constant abuse by each employer. I miss the flying part sometimes, but can always freelance instruct or rent a plane. Save your family, health, financial future, and your sanity! Get the hell out!

who did you work for?

You've flown a pressurized metal tube with responsibility for dozens of lives behind you through the most dynamic environment on earth. If you can't somehow spin that to your benefit, find somebody who can.

You have to make people understand that you want to be more than an employee number. You are tired of living out of one and two-star hotels 12-15 days per month and looking for some stability in your life. You want to contribute to the bottom line and be treated like an asset to a company, not a liability. You want nothing more than the opportunity to prove yourself a productive employee that brings value to an organization.

Good luck...

Pilots grossly overestimate their value on the open labor market. Worthless college degrees from no-name university and usually being a pilot is their only job experience. The best case scenario is probably to be a delivery driver.

Thanks for the responses guys. I may put some bullets on here after the resume is complete. From what’s out front and the PMs I have a nice looking set of bullets. I just need to refine them into a paragraph.

I have a few suggestions, not so much about resumes but about possible jobs that suit your aviation experience so no problem translating bullets, and for the most part have regular hours and no time away from home.

Sim Instructor-These jobs have regular schedules and pay pretty well.

CFI at a college flight program-Lots of opportunity for advancement if you are not time building. Have known plenty of people who started as CFI's at a college flight program and are now college administrators.

Airport or Airline Management-Pilot expereince is looked upon very favorably. There may be position within Mesa, or one of their code share partners. Check also with your local airport to see in they have any operations positions.

Dispatcher-Plenty of jobs, and the school is very short if you have a Commercial or ATP, something like two weeks. Flight Safety at LGA has a program and nearly everyone has a job waiting for them when they finish.

Pilots grossly overestimate their value on the open labor market. Worthless college degrees from no-name university and usually being a pilot is their only job experience. The best case scenario is probably to be a delivery driver.

Untrue. The majority of the people I work with have the job because they have a pilot certificate or an A&P. The only time any of us see an airplane is when we go on a trip or one flies over.

Trust me, Flight Safety does not help anyone once you finish your Dispatcher Rating.
You will have to do a job search on your own. Most likely you will face the same problem as looking for a regional job. However, I have been to places that slam the door on your face when you tell them you are a pilot. Then I have seen them let you in and treat you with some professionalism if you are a Dispatcher. Trust me this industry does not respect pilots period. So just switch careers to something else.
Lucky me ... I have left the industry and doing very well with a nice future. The first step is getting out of the cheap uniform and the BS high you get of being a pilot because, this career is a drug. Secondly, secure a job were you can work and go to school and get your skills updated.
Trust me again!!!! The world is better outside of aviation. This career is for a bunch of "w*************************".
Its amazing how much you know when you leave and go back to school or get into a training program. Starting salaries are better than 2nd- 3rd yr pay at all regionals. Plu,s I travel when I need to and buy my own tickets when I have to ( They are cheaper now that I make a better salary ).
Just DO IT!!! It will be rough the first year but so is first year or more at the regionals or other airlines. After that you have detoxed yourself and life is brighter.

Latest resources

Back