Leaving The Cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

citdrver

The million dollar question...........If you left flying for a living what would you do?

Do you know others that have left, and what do they do?

Would you stay in aviation in a different capacity or break out into something new?

I am getting ready to actually take the leap, not by choice and need some new insights.

Thanks!

You could always become a writer. I think Ernie Gann had the best perspective about the whole flying for a living thing. He knew when to hang it up.

If you have to get out of flying for a living because of circumstances beyond your control, I think it just depends on what aviation is to you. This is something that is going to be a little different for everyone. Some people can walk away from the cockpit and step into an airline or airport management job and be perfectly happy. Others are going to hate working around airplanes and not being able to fly them. It just depends on what kind of grip aviation has on you.

For me personally, I used to think that if I couldn't fly for a living, then I wanted to have nothing to do with airplanes, so I went and became a professional ship driver. Since then I have grown up and realized that I don't have to fly airliners or fighter jets to enjoy what aviation has to offer...but that's just me.

Last edited:
citdrver said:
The million dollar question...........If you left flying for a living what would you do?
Spend a lot of time in the prison law library, researching my appeal.

JessMan said:
Open a bar & grill

You could always get into aircraft sales, you probably know enough about the aircraft and the industry. That and you already have (well you should anyway) a strong network of owners/operators/pilots that you use.

That was my plan anyway, establish myself as a corporate pilot then retire into aircraft sales to keep the $$$ rolling in. It just so happened that an opportunity popped up for me earlier then expected.

Professional bass fisherman. Or maybe a member of the Realtree Outdoors Pro-Staff. Yeah, that'd be the ticket...although QOL probably wouldn't be much better August thru January. A compromise between the two might be store manager of a Cabela's or Bass Pro store.

Realistically, I could easily see myself moving into a 121 training department once I have children (4-5 years) in order to spend more time at home.

Local Starbucks cuz:
Same or better wages than a regional FO.
Home every night
Better Medical insurance
No alcohol/drug test.
Plenty of MILF..

Canadair RJ said:
Possibly Air Traffic Control. Decent money, and it seems like it'd be a fun job.

hahaha, I wouldn't recomend this career for anyone if HR5449 doesn't pass tonight. If it doesn't, there is going to be lots of job openings but don't plan on getting off welfare.

Latest resources

Back