• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Or, you could say the irony is that VJ ended their requirement in 1996, while SWA still maintains theirs.

:D

Ty, come on, they just don't see it.... Someone has to pay for their type before they start, either Military, another airline, or out of their own pockets. But, to them, that isn't paying for your training......drug tests all around please!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Who paid for your Private?

Instrument?

Mutli engine?

CFI?

4 year degree?

Why isn't requiring a 4 yr degree costing upwards of $100,000 PFT per your ignorant definition if a type is?

You forgot CFII, MEI and ATP.

Flight ratings as well as a bachelors degree are universally accepted as necessary to gain employment in this industry. Requiring new hires to acquire type specific training prior to employment is very much a different thing. That is also universally accepted by pretty much everyone who isn't a SW pilot.

To the rest of you, please go on and tell me how great your SW career has been compared to my lowly existence as an uber senior AT captain living in domicile. I find the comparisons most entertaining and thought provoking.

Last edited:
Or, you could say the irony is that VJ ended their requirement in 1996, while SWA still maintains theirs.

:D

You could, but there'd be no irony as you'd be comparing apples and oranges.

I work for a company that has been called PFT by the FI brain trust, including a few VJ/AT folks. SW isn't and has never been PFT.

-9 Capt, on the other hand, works for a company that actually has been PFT in the past, so there's the irony.

VJ was the definition of PFT. In order to get hired at VJ, you had to pay VJ 5 figures up front ($10k IIRC) for the privilege of making commuter level wages and dealing with a large number of scabs.

The 737 type rating is a minimum hiring requirement. You can't pay SW for a type, even if you wanted to, just like you can't pay them for your ATP, MEL ratings etc., you just have to have them.

All that said, I think the type is a stupid requirement, almost as stupid (although much cheaper) as requiring a 4 year degree to do this job. But in no stretch of the definition is it PFT.

-9 Capt, on the other hand, works for a company that actually has been PFT in the past, .

Ya know Delta started out as a crop dusting outfit, so I guess they're nothin but a bunch of AG pilots, right?

Another point you'll probably find interesting, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Tripower loves to leave out that if you interview and get hired, and don't have the type, you have to PAY for it yourself. That....is.....pay...for training.... If you don't have a 4 year degree and that is required, then you won't even get the interview. They don't say "thanks for interviewing, now, go get your 4 year degree, see ya in 4 years...."

Bye Bye---General Lee

You forgot CFII, MEI and ATP.

Flight ratings as well as a bachelors degree are universally accepted as necessary to gain employment in this industry. Requiring new hires to acquire type specific training prior to employment is very much a different thing. That is also universally accepted by pretty much everyone who isn't a SW pilot.

Yet, it still isn't PFT, as defined by airlines like Comair, Gulfstream, Valuejet etc. Call it what you will, a ridiculous requirement, but it ain't PFT.

To the rest of you, please go on and tell me how great your SW career has been compared to my lowly existence as an uber senior AT captain living in domicile. I find the comparisons most entertaining and thought provoking.

I find it "thought provoking" that you would even compare the 2......

Tripower loves to leave out that if you interview and get hired, and don't have the type, you have to PAY for it yourself. That....is.....pay...for training....

Who do you pay for that training? SW won't take a dime of your money, besides, anyone that meets the minimum requirements for SW aren't paying for training, they're paying for the type rating to meet that requirement.

If you don't have a 4 year degree and that is required, then you won't even get the interview. They don't say "thanks for interviewing, now, go get your 4 year degree, see ya in 4 years...."

Bye Bye---General Lee

When I got hired, the type was required to even be considered for an interview. Some people were betting $8k on the chance of an interview at SW.

Which is better?

At least now, those hired without the type have a solid job offer before shelling out the money for it.

Last edited:
Ya know Delta started out as a crop dusting outfit, so I guess they're nothin but a bunch of AG pilots, right?

Another point you'll probably find interesting, if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

None of that changes the fact that SW is not, and has never been, a PFT outfit, like Valuejet was.

Who do you pay for that training? SW won't take a dime of your money, besides, anyone that meets the minimum requirements for SW aren't paying for training, they're paying for the type rating to meet that requirement.

When I got hired, the type was required to even be considered for an interview. Some people were betting $8k on the chance of an interview at SW.

Which is better?

At least now, those hired without the type have a solid job offer before shelling out the money for it.

Don't compare the 4 year degree requirement to the type rating. You can get an interview without the type at SWA, but can't get an interview at all at most airlines without the 4 year degree. It is better that your airline will interview first now, but is it better to have the type first? Is that advantageous? And, you are still paying money down to someone for that class date at your airline. Do you have to pay for anything "extra" for a class at the big 3? Nope. Come on man, it doesn't matter who you are paying, the problem is you HAVE TO PAY SOMEONE...... Don't try to get around that... Just work on getting that deal changed. The AT guys coming over from the 717 should have put that whole thing to a stop...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back