• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Learjet 85

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Starship was all composite. Because the FAA wasn't comfortable with the technology, the forced Beech to beef the wing up with so much composite structure, the lost payload to the point it wasn't competitive anymore. The AASI Jetcruzer used a composite fuselage with standard metal wings to bypass this problem.

The Starship was all composite. Because the FAA wasn't comfortable with the technology, the forced Beech to beef the wing up with so much composite structure, the lost payload to the point it wasn't competitive anymore. The AASI Jetcruzer used a composite fuselage with standard metal wings to bypass this problem.

Not just that. There were two major weight weight gains on the Starship. The FAA decided that the airplane had to have flaps. It was not originally designed with Flaps. When they added the flaps, then CG got out of control. This is when it grew the moving forward wing with interconnections to the flaps. From what I was told in school, the biggest weight gain came then the composite 4 blade props started shattering when Ice coming off the wing hit them. The change from composite 4 blades to the huge metal 5 blades that ended up with was huge.

They also said the composite wing could not leak fuel, but I personally had one leak.

Premier has metal wings as well.

I heard that the STAR was also going to be under 12,500 until the FAA got ahold of it.

I know those prop blades had to be replaced due to rocks being thrown up as well and they were not cheap if you could even get one w/o delay!

Still the coolest plane I have ever seen or flown

Last edited:
I heard that the STAR was also going to be under 12,500 until the FAA got ahold of it.

I know those prop blades had to be replaced due to rocks being thrown up as well and they were not cheap if you could even get one w/o delay!

Still the coolest plane I have ever seen or flown

We did not have as much trouble from rocks as we did corrosion at the Base of the blade from the exhaust.

When has that been proven on a corporate jet? and on what airplane?

Premier. Hawker 4000.......everybody duck. Incoming!

Remember, the 45 was VERY grumpy in the beginning. Some say it still is.:beer:

Premier. Hawker 4000.......everybody duck. Incoming!

Remember, the 45 was VERY grumpy in the beginning. Some say it still is.:beer:
very different, fuselage only....Learjet wants wings also. I say again, where has that been proven on a corporate jet or any jet?

very different, fuselage only....Learjet wants wings also. I say again, where has that been proven on a corporate jet or any jet?

...thats not what was said the first time which was a general statement about weight savings of composite...which made it sound like you were doubting the advatages of same :nuts:

None on a jet I am aware of. FWIW on the starship the ride was awesome with the flex of the wing. No problems related to the Wing.

Is the 787 wing composite?

None on a jet I am aware of. FWIW on the starship the ride was awesome with the flex of the wing. No problems related to the Wing.

Is the 787 wing composite?

actually, composite wings have been around for awhile...i seem to recall a block of F16s that were ordered by (i think it was) the Japanese.

barring the wording of "any jet" disallows the Starship, but we all know the FAA essentially drove that into the ground.

hell...airbus just made the largest composite wing to date for the A400

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...mpleted-making-it-largest-composite-wing.html

and yes...the 787 is composite wing ;)

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/print/2606

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back