• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lear 60 vs Hawker 800XP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What kind of engines are on the 60 anyway? That is one quiet engine.

They are the Pratts and they are awesome. I wish all the Hawkers had them. Those engines will put you in the seat on takeoff and will climb like a bat out of hell. (that I miss about the 60).

Bandit60 said:
They are the Pratts and they are awesome. I wish all the Hawkers had them. Those engines will put you in the seat on takeoff and will climb like a bat out of hell. (that I miss about the 60).

The Hawker 1000 has the same engine of the Learjet 60 ... Not many of them around though ...

That is true but the Lear 60 is much lighter. I also hear the guys flying the 1000 love those engines too. I would just love to see them on the 800xp

Groundpounder said:
What kind of performance does the Hawker 800 winglet mod add?

5 to 7% better field performance, applies to cruise aswell. Problem with the winglets on the 800 is you still have to use the original numbers from the book. While you may need 7% less runway, you have to use the numbers from the book.

Aviation Partners and Raytheon did not re-certify the aircraft with winglets. Only the Winglet STC was certified. It would have taken a couple of hundred hours of flight testing on top of what was already need to get STC approval, as well as doing all new takeoff minimum unstick speed tests, stalls and more. They would have had to do these test in a straight 800 AND a 800XP (different performance numbers)

Basically between flight testing, data collection and paperwork, we're talking millions of dollars. Simply not worth the cost.

As it is the Winglets cost a couple hundred thousand dollars, imagine the cost if the aircraft was performance re-certified.

So, you have to use the non-winglet performance numbers to be legal.

We have just completed our demo flights on the 60 and 800XP and the owners prefer the 800XP over the 60. They felt the 800 had more leg room and a more comfortable ride. With that said from a pilots view I also prefer the 800XP because of the avionics and it appears to be a more stable aircraft. I dont like the "weeping wing" on the 800XP and I know both like long runways when it's hot. I believe Raytheon has better support for their aircraft than Lear right now. The demo pilots were pretty straight forward about the performance on both aircraft. The 60 guys said the aircraft really doesn't like altitudes above FL430, I didn't realize the 60 uses the same wing as the 31A. For maintence if you have to get to the batteries on the 60 you have to take the APU out.I was told 440 was a good true airspeed to plan on. Fuelburn was much better on the 60. On the price both companies are offering good packages, Lear more than Raytheon but the price tag was about 1.3 less on the 60 (12.1 vs 13.6). The starting price on the Sovergin is 14.2. It is going to come down to what the company wants to pay, I think they will go the 800XP route. One final observation Raytheon had a great presentation. Lear had nothing!

Latest resources

Back