• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

LCC/AMR Merger offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WTF, east of the Mississippi is where the majority of domestic travel profits are. So many senior folk between the the two airlines, don't think the SLI issues will be as bad as you think.

True, I just wonder about hubs in PHL, CLT and MIA. Remember that USAirways route system was concentrated doing East coast N-S flying for many years and they didn't do well for much of that time. It's so saturated that if these carriers combine they will probably cut capacity back to reduce overlap and increase profit margin. We will see about the SLI issues, maybe I'm wrong but I think it will be very difficult, the list at LCC hasn't been resolved yet. USA East and American are two of the most militant pilot groups on the planet and they have two different unions.

I start class at Airways the 14th so just hoping for the best I guess, with a sprinkle of luck that it will all work out.

If you are younger you will be fine when the smoke eventually clears. There will be many retirements from the East and AMR side and if this combination happens the pay should go up significantly for LCC. It's going to be a rough ride through the merger for a few years but that shouldn't last forever. Look at AMR/TWA and USAir/AMWest what could possibly go wrong ? Just kidding :)

True, I just wonder about hubs in PHL, CLT and MIA. Remember that USAirways route system was concentrated doing East coast N-S flying for many years and they didn't do well for much of that time. It's so saturated that if these carriers combine they will probably cut capacity back to reduce overlap and increase profit margin. We will see about the SLI issues, maybe I'm wrong but I think it will be very difficult, the list at LCC hasn't been resolved yet. USA East and American are two of the most militant pilot groups on the planet and they have two different unions.

There's very little overlap between the two on the east coast
believe it or not. If the merger happens there won't be two
unions anymore. APA will become the defacto union due
to sheer numbers on the AMR side.

PHL and PHX will be the CVG/MEM or CLE of this merger.

The northeast shuttle ops, DCA, and CLT to a smaller extent will make a good fit to the AMR network.

APA INFORMATION HOTLINE

This is APA Communications Director Gregg Overman with the APA Information Hotline for Monday, Dec. 10.

We would like to thank our counterparts at USAPA for agreeing to attend our latest discussions with the UCC and US Airways about our pending merger transaction. We would especially like to thank the USAPA officers for agreeing to serve coffee and donuts while the grown ups in the room talk business. APA President Wilson added, "we will certainly be finding room for our new union counterparts on the Food and Beverage Committee. We look forward to having USAPA leadership serve nothing but the finest breakfast and lunch items while we conduct business on behalf of all native American pilots".

That's it for now. Thanks for checking this hotline.

I, for one, welcome our new APA overlords.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-for-one-welcome-our-new-insect-overlords

Last edited:
This is going to be the mother of all messy mergers, these companies don't complement each other nearly as well as DAL/NWA, UAL/CAL, SW/AT or even a USAir/AMWest. Seems like a lot of major hubs east of the Mississippi and a lot of N-S East coast flying. Add in the fleet issues and the guaranteed ugly, nasty, poisonous labor confrontations to come and this may be a bad idea. I sure wouldn't want to be the one to have to cobble these two (actually three) operations together.

You speak as if you were not from 'Merika. A great majority of the population lives where you described, and damn if they don't like to visit/trade with each other a whole lot.

Your analysis is fail.

And is, perhaps, the sharpest paint job in existence, while simultaneously saving weight and cost.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but polished aluminum airplanes have always looked sharp. :)

/threadcreep

AGREE x 3, Lear!

CLT is the 2nd most profitable hub on a % basis in 'Merika if DoUgIe presented honest data. Not going anywhere.

PHL has a whole mess of profitable originating traffic. Win

MIA, not massively familiar with that hub or operation, but South American traffic is going UP UP UP for the foreseeable future.

And is, perhaps, the sharpest paint job in existence, while simultaneously saving weight and cost.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but polished aluminum airplanes have always looked sharp. :)

/threadcreep

2 things I like about the potential merger:

1. AA's paint job (or lack there of). Polished AL looks great. If I ever get enough cash to build an RV-8 it will be polished.

2. not having to say "cactus". although I'll have to learn to say "do you want fries with that" after us seniority bottom feeders are furloughed when all the narrow bodies are outsourced to republic.

I just stepped in some republic outside . Damn dogs republicing everywhere. I'll be scraping this republic off my shoe for the next hour.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back