• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

lawsuit: ID checks unconstitutional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember it is not only our right to question authority it is our DUTY. It is high time that we put an end to the trashing and diluting of our most sacred document, THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDANCE

Where does it say in the Declaration Of Independence that it's our right as an American to be a faceless, nameless individual?

So, by your logic, it's a violation of our rights when a movie theater asks for ID to prove a person is over 17, so they can see an "R" rated movie? It's a violation of our rights when a store clerk asks for ID to purchase alcohol? It's a violation of our rights when a police officer stops you and asks for your ID?

The safety of the public is a little more important that the "rights" you perceive the Declaration Of Independence gives you. If your "rights" are being violated so much by an airline asking you for your ID so they can match your ticket, with you, then you have the "right" to chose a different mode of transportation.

By the way... Before you start throwing the Declaration of Independence around, make sure you know how to spell it properly.

Last edited:
this is hardly a violation of the constitution. its just an ID check, a small step in security. its there to protect you and the other passengers, its not some major consipracy for the government to monitor everyone for some evil plot.

asside from it assisting in providing security against hostile pax, it also makes sure that the person holding the ticket is the person that's supposed to be using the ticket. without an ID check any person that steals your tickets can use em without fear of getting caught. if ID checks were unconstitutional just think of what will happen the next time someone steals your checkbook or credit cards. after you liberate your rights for ID checks with your bank, why dont you let us play with your checkbook...

In fact, you are not required to be searched, at all! You have an absolute right to refuse any search of your person or property. You simply turn around, walk out of the airport, and find other means of transportation.

F'in A, man. Right on! These people have way too much time on their hands to dig up this stupid crap. You don't have to be doing something wrong to be checked for something. If you go to a gas station, the policy, around Atlanta at least, is that you have to show ID for cigarettes if you are under 26 years old. Well, how do you know if someone is 26 if you don't check their ID? I really hope this guy loses the case horribly. People like that need to put that energy into something more productive than that, like staring at walls and shutting the heck up. Man, I need an aspirin. I hate this kind of stuff...

This topic is quite the double edged sword. While I agree that the ID checks are in fact constitutional, how far do we let it go? I will need a lawyer (not an attorney, but a lawyer) to verify this but I believe that it is required to have some form of ID on you at all times while in public. I am under the understanding that if you are walking down the street and a peace officer asks you for your ID you must present it. If not you are subject to arrest. Of course this does not happen often, but do you really want the government to have that power? I laugh at all the people who wear there IDs around their neck at the airports nowadays. In fact in the last few months I have stopped wearing my Company ID when I am jumpseating in just my pilot shirt (no tie, hat, bars). I now keep it in my pocket and present it to the gate agent and capt when needed. I ask you, how easy will it be for the TSA to see all the sheep walking around with their IDs hanging around their neck and implement a requirment that when at an airport you must display your ID? How would feel about that?
It is good to be patriotic and easy to denounce what this guy is doing as frivoulous, but I beleive that part of what he is trying to do is make people realize that very slowly personal freedoms are being taken away from the general public. Remember, this country is founded on the belief that 2 sides can have different opinions and still coexist. If you dont want to have to listen to his views you can move to any number of countries where if you have a differing view, you will be shot.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

As a people, you have every right to question authority when that same authority infringes upon your unalienable and Constitutional Rights. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks should happen. You Have That Right.

dash8driver said:
this is hardly a violation of the constitution. its just an ID check, a small step in security. its there to protect you and the other passengers, its not some major consipracy for the government to monitor everyone for some evil plot.

I bet this guy is willing to give up all freedoms in the fight for security. There are better ways for our government to fight this issue. And they don't even have to take away the freedom that you are so willing to give up.

chperplt said:
By the way... Before you start throwing the Declaration of Independence around, make sure you know how to spell it properly.

Work hard....people on welfare depend on you.

You really should check yourself before you critisize someone else.

By the way... To HELL with everyone on welfare. It is not my responsibility nor is it their right.

I've gotta side with flynhigh, skypine and Dogg on this one.

It's astonishing what a bunch of sheep we've become, how willing we've become to invite the government one level deeper into our lives...and deeper.....and deeper....when is it going to end?

We all sit here and complain about mindless, ineffective and intrusive "security", then when someone tries to actually do something about it, he's a "moron" or a "numbnuts". He should just shut up like the rest of us and accept an increasingly intrusive government.

Tell me, who is it that determines that things are "priveliges" not "rights" ? Hmmmm....could it be the government? and could it be because it is convenient for the government for driving, and flying and such to be "priveleges" and subject to immediate and arbitrary suspension? It certainly doesn't serve the people to have things be "priveleges", and not rights.

So, let's think about the current situation:

You need government issued ID to get on an airplane. You need Government issued ID to get on a bus or train. You need Government issued ID to drive on the public highways. The police have the "right" to demand government issued ID from all occupants of a car, not just the driver, and you are subject to arrest if you don't comply. You may be requred to show govvernment issued ID when you are merely walking in public. Alright put those thoughts on hold, and think back in time a little. Remember how shocked you were to find out that a Soviet citizen needed an internal passport to travel within his own country? Remember how amazed you were at the lack of freedom?

Now, how far from internal passports are we, in real terms, if we need government issued Identification to be allowed the privelege of using ANY form of travel in the US, including WALKING. Is that really what our founding fathers envisioned? Government ID required for walking? What's the next step? a visa to visit your parents in the next state? Think it can't happen? really? why not? All the government has to do is declare it a privelege, not a right. After all, visiting family isn't one of the rights listed in the constitution.

We as citizens of the United States have the *right* to travel freely within the US, right? But, if each and every individual means of travel is a privilege, then the *right* to travel isn't much of a right after all.

think about it guys, maybe when someone pushes back against the ever expanding, ever encroaching government, we ought to cut him a little slack, instead of expecting him to bow his head, and follow the Judas goat, just like the rest of the sheep.

regards

Last edited:
A Squared

You make some very good points. However, I would disagree that requiring a photo ID to board an airplane is the same as being required to hold an internal passport.

All an airline is doing by asking for you to produce an ID is to verify that the name on the picture ID is the same as the name on the ticket. Your ID can be bogus, as long as the name matches.

Airlines have always required ID. Either you showed it at the ticket counter, or you showed it at the gate. Now you show it a few more times. It's just another way for an airline to make sure that the person they sold the ticket to is the person using it. Tickets have never been transferable, and now there isn't any way around it.

Latest resources

Back