• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest USAPAwatch.......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You need only two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it don’t move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it aint supposed to, use the duct tape.

I don think that WD-40 or Duct Tape will fix this mess. Lookie at what has turned up now.

Fellow USAPA Pilots

The following information requires your attention.

Pilots asked to take sides in Freedom Airlines fight
By: Gregory Polek
November 1, 2002
Air Transport and Cargo

Mesa Air Group’s designs for a new non-union subsidiary to fly its planned fleet of 64- and 84-seat jets continues to face stiff resistance from the powers that be within the Air Line Pilots Association, starting with none other than ALPA president Duane Woerth. The union’s top official traveled to Farmington, N.M., in late September to “educate” pilots training at Mesa’s ab-initio flight academy about the perceived evils of Freedom Airlines, scheduled to start service from Phoenix to Los Angeles International Airport and Long Beach, Calif., late last month. Although Woerth denied that ALPA would “blackball” pilots who choose to fly for Freedom Airlines, the ALPA president left little doubt about the union’s attitude toward those who do.

As a pilot you can either lower the standard or raise it,” said Woerth, according to a report in the Farmington Daily Times. “You don’t reward bad behavior. Are we going to blacklist? No. But this is a small community.” Student attitudes ranged from staunchly pro-union to what many within the established pilot fraternity consider purely mercenary. But with little opportunity to find work within the traditional union track, the guarantee of 300 flying hours at Freedom Airlines has drawn interest from hungry pilots who, during better times, wouldn’t dare risk the consequences of wearing the “scab” label.

From the Dec 18, 2002 US Airways mainline code-a-phone:

The MEC directed the MEC officers and Negotiating Committee to inform US Airways management that the MEC ... objects to any potential or contemplated code sharing arrangement with Freedom Air unless its pilots are represented by ALPA. The US Airways MEC supports the actions of ALPA International Executive Council and Executive Board in opposing the formation of Freedom Air as a non-union entity, and directed that all furloughed US Airways pilots be notified of the Executive Board, Executive Council and MEC’s opposition to Freedom Air. Any pilot on the US Airways seniority list that accepts employment with Freedom Air will lose all US Airways MEC-sponsored ALPA privileges, including but not limited to jumpseat, health insurance, web access, furlough administrator access, and ALPA-provided job search programs. If applicable, the US Airways MEC will fileArticle VIII charges against any US Airways seniority list pilot accepting or remaining inemployment with Freedom Air after February 1, 2003, for engaging in action detrimental tothe Association.

Yep...that's ALPA..threatening pilots as they are being furloughed...I'm so glad I don't pay a dime anymore to the Prater pension fund.

Not sure how you can blame a union for advising against union busting by anyone, furloughed or not. I would think a lot less of ALPA if they just ignored Freedom and let them undermine the profession without any response.
Any pilot who crosses a picket or flies for an obviously union busting company should be threatened.

Moderator reviewed:

#1, naming a person from a PRESS RELEASE is not a violation of the TOS. Only revealing someone's identity from THIS BOARD is a violation of the TOS. Any questions, send via PM.

#2, knock it off with the Scab correlation. If someone is on one of the "lists", then they are on one of the "lists". This site is NOT for discussing said "list", nor for correlating someone else to being a Scab because they support someone you believe to be a Scab, nor is it for further instigating negativity towards anyone on said "list".

Any further discussion will lead to a F.I. vacation for the offending poster.

Moderator hat off:

For those of you who know what extensive union work I've done and the price I've paid for it, understand that the above is simply me enforcing the FI rules, not a personal view one way or the other. Lots of lawsuits have cropped up when people are allowed to discuss the "lists" in an open forum, and we cannot have that here.

Them's the rules, I don't make them, I just enforce them.

OK. "First Officer Crimi" is on the list. Wow....this is too rich. Fun fact #2:

DOH - 8/16/89
DOB - 10/19/64

Got hired by a major at 24. Wow, and the East has the audacity to call the West inexperienced. How old was "Save Dave"? Answer: 34. Classic.

MCDU rationalizes in 3...2...1....

Last edited:
OK, what part of "don't discuss the list" did you not understand?

That's it. The above comment by "get2flyin" is the LAST comment about "the list" or "scabs". Next person goes to the penalty box.

You need only two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it don’t move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and it aint supposed to, use the duct tape.

I don think that WD-40 or Duct Tape will fix this mess. Lookie at what has turned up now.

Fellow USAPA Pilots

The following information requires your attention.

Pilots asked to take sides in Freedom Airlines fight
By: Gregory Polek
November 1, 2002
Air Transport and Cargo

Mesa Air Group’s designs for a new non-union subsidiary to fly its planned fleet of 64- and 84-seat jets continues to face stiff resistance from the powers that be within the Air Line Pilots Association, starting with none other than ALPA president Duane Woerth. The union’s top official traveled to Farmington, N.M., in late September to “educate” pilots training at Mesa’s ab-initio flight academy about the perceived evils of Freedom Airlines, scheduled to start service from Phoenix to Los Angeles International Airport and Long Beach, Calif., late last month. Although Woerth denied that ALPA would “blackball” pilots who choose to fly for Freedom Airlines, the ALPA president left little doubt about the union’s attitude toward those who do.

As a pilot you can either lower the standard or raise it,” said Woerth, according to a report in the Farmington Daily Times. “You don’t reward bad behavior. Are we going to blacklist? No. But this is a small community.” Student attitudes ranged from staunchly pro-union to what many within the established pilot fraternity consider purely mercenary. But with little opportunity to find work within the traditional union track, the guarantee of 300 flying hours at Freedom Airlines has drawn interest from hungry pilots who, during better times, wouldn’t dare risk the consequences of wearing the “scab” label.

From the Dec 18, 2002 US Airways mainline code-a-phone:

The MEC directed the MEC officers and Negotiating Committee to inform US Airways management that the MEC ... objects to any potential or contemplated code sharing arrangement with Freedom Air unless its pilots are represented by ALPA. The US Airways MEC supports the actions of ALPA International Executive Council and Executive Board in opposing the formation of Freedom Air as a non-union entity, and directed that all furloughed US Airways pilots be notified of the Executive Board, Executive Council and MEC’s opposition to Freedom Air. Any pilot on the US Airways seniority list that accepts employment with Freedom Air will lose all US Airways MEC-sponsored ALPA privileges, including but not limited to jumpseat, health insurance, web access, furlough administrator access, and ALPA-provided job search programs. If applicable, the US Airways MEC will fileArticle VIII charges against any US Airways seniority list pilot accepting or remaining inemployment with Freedom Air after February 1, 2003, for engaging in action detrimental tothe Association.

As a pilot you can either lower the standard or raise it,” said Woerth

Simply an astounding statement from the individual who did more to lower the standard than any pilot in the history of aviation. I am trying to figure out how to wipe up the coffee that just shot out of my nose and onto my computer.

OK, there's one to the penalty box. Do I have any more takers?

NO MORE TALK OF SCABS. The end. Period.

First guy got 3 days. The next person who does gets 7. Next one after that gets a month. Next one after that gets PERMANENTLY banned.

Have I made my point yet? Good. Move on.

Guilt by association. Crimi is a SCAB, MCDU supports Crimi = MCDU is a SCAB!!!

There is justice. MCDU bags on West guys for some of their ties to Mesa. Then it turns out an East guy (Crimi) running for a union position is a Mesa SCAB! Oooops!!!

Whats up with that?

M

That's why everyone has been put on notice. This thread has gotten way out of control and I'm about to delete the whole dang thing...

I know Steve and I know he went to Freedom only to bag the type rating. He never intended to fly there.....but....

Even though I love the thought of Johnny O forking out $30,000 or whatever to train Steve and then never make a dime off his services, I don't agree with that sort of career move. PFT, union busting airlines.....none of that in my resume and there won't be.

Having said that, these boards bring about the most reprehensible, hateful behavior, don't they?

Latest resources

Back