Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trip Report
15 June 2004

It’s been a few weeks since the actual interview, but I’m providing my experience just in case it might help. First of all, KUDOs to the gougemeister. I did not encounter anything during the interview that I had not been briefed on. Many of the questions took on different forms, but they were essentially the same as laid out in previous trip reports. Try to have as many stories from your past as possible. I ended up having to use one story/situation twice with the same interviewer to answer his questions. I don’t think it hurt, since I flavored it for a different personality trait in the end. Read all the previous reports if you can. Obviously there is a lot of redundancy in the reports, but repetition settled my nerves. I did not try to memorize anything the previous guys did or said, I just wanted a flavor for the pace of questioning and intensity. It helped me…

I was called by Melissa Dexter approximately two weeks prior to the first interview opportunity – she provided me with three choices. I took the second because it allowed me the greatest flexibility with my work schedule. There is always the chance you are giving up seniority numbers by delaying. With classes backing up, you want to get to the review committee as soon as possible. I tried to book the Renaissance, but their best rate was nearly $200. They offered to book me at the Courtyard Marriott down the street for $149. I ended up at the Radisson for $65. My opinion…where you stay does not matter, just be on time in the morning. There were 4 other guys there as well. Transportation was not an issue. The hotel provided a shuttle to the airport for pickup and a shuttle to SWA headquarters.

I flew in to DFW from DCA using jumpseat privileges on United. I wanted to minimize the number of legs to travel. As I mentioned, the hotel had no problem with picking you up…just check with them in advance. It’s a 20 min ride so tip the guy well.

There were 12 candidates in my group. About half retiring military / and the other 121 carriers. 1 minority in the group and no women. Of the military equal mixture of fighter and heavy. Everyone was very friendly and appeared well at ease (only on the surface I’m sure)

Processing-in began promptly at 8am. After the initial welcoming we were eventually split into two groups for the interview/LOI sessions. Groups were already designated by a sheet that was handed out after the welcome. If there was a pattern to how the groups were formed, I couldn’t figure it out. It appeared random to me. My group did the LOI first and one-on-one interviews after lunch. We finished around 4 pm. Plenty of time to make an evening flight. I even made it back to DFW to catch a 6pm flight to DCA. If you do the LOI’s in the afternoon, you’ll finish much earlier since it’s only a 20 minute exercise.

Waiting for my turn was the most difficult part of this whole experience. By some strange coincidence, I was the last person called to do both the LOI and face to face interviews. No smoking-gun questions and all were pretty straight forward. There was even a little prompting to end the story with a positive twist. My LOI was MDW – MCI, sick passenger after departure with destination closed temporarily due to emergency on runway. You are told to hold and asked for your plan. I made my decision with 20 seconds to go after getting as much input as I could from all parties I could think of. Self critique was solicited after a short break.

All in all, I had a very positive experience. I don’t think any interview is really enjoyable because of all the stress you put yourself under to look good. I received a call from Wendy at SWA a little over a month later that I was recommended by the selection committee and would ‘continue the process’ through background checks and enter the pool. Target class date – Dec or Jan.

Good luck!

Trip Report 20 Jul 04

Got a phone call from Melissa Dexter approximately 1 month prior. Chose the first available date. Received the package about a week later. Absolutely no surprises on what to fill out from the information in previous reports. Based on previous advice, called the Renaissance right away and booked a room. Said I was coming up for an interview and received the SW rate.

Flew up from San Antonio. Minor confusion with the must ride status but fairly quickly resolved. Make a copy of your interview invite letter for later use at the Renaissance. Wore non-interview coat and tie. I asked one the Flight Attendants about the crew’s names and attempted to ingratiate myself by picking up some trash. I didn’t crack the code on the Renaissance van and since it was 2 Billion degrees and I had a tie on, I grabbed a cab. Picked up a quick shoe shine in the airport. They were almost too good and somewhat distracting on game day! When I checked, in I signed up for the 0700 shuttle.

The Renaissance had a Mary Kay convention going on so the SWA dominance was a little less apparent. I didn’t hang too long in the bar at dinner and didn’t recognize any of the pilots or new hires.

After a quick breakfast, I found the group of funeral directors waiting for the bus. About 7 of us took the shuttle to HQ. After we arrived there was a line to tip the guy. We all filed in, checked our bags(and cellphones) and chatted and waited. We started a roster and the administrative staff made copies for us all. 12 Total, half civ, half mil(1 AF, 5 Navy)

As per previous interview reports we were divided into 2 groups. I had the AM LOI and the PM interview. First they gathered us all up, made introductions, and gathered our paperwork. They allowed us to keep our briefcases etc in the first conference room.(I wouldn’t bring in anything you wouldn’t want them to see) No need to be fancy with the paperwork. Have it organized in a 2 slot folder and produce it in the order they require.

LOI
I went first in the LOI.
This was the unruly PAX trapping the FA from Phoenix to San Antonio while over El Paso. (All details previously reported) The 5 minutes to think it over seemed to last about 10. I jotted down some possible alternates which I wanted to check on the small white board. The FO and jumpseater are fully up to speed so you can hit the ground running. The 7 minutes seem to last about 90 seconds. Be prepared for this part to fly! Beware of distractions, e.g. Albuquerque needs us at 35 or 37, I just picked an altitude. First tried to work with the FA(Played by the jumpseater) situation seemed unsolvable, FO would not go back to help because of security concerns. Couldn’t get her to do it. Got the WX and NOTAMS at selected bases from dispatch (jumpseater as well). Asked for input. Both the FO and jumpseater wanted go to different places. Made the call to go to PHX (WX VFR) landable but crummy at others except ELP which was bad. Quickly justified the decision, informed the FA and dispatch and turned the jet around as the time ran out. They left and I scribbled down some notes on the white board. I used the good things/not so good things to organize the de-brief. They returned after 5 minutes (seemed like 10) I shook hands and that was that. I was very anxious about the LOI but it happened so fast I didn’t have the time to get nervous.

Impressions: set a time to make a decision and execute e.g..3 minutes left. Get inputs but try not to get too distracted or sidetracked. Watch out about changing your mind. As I informed the flight attendant that we were going back she indicated that things were coming under control. Even though you may have a good idea about the various scenarios, watch getting locked into a pre-set course of action. React to the inputs as they happen. This, I believe, is where they look to evaluate your responses.

Lunch was as advertised. Be friendly, try to relax and sit with the group.

INTERVIEWS
A disadvantage of doing the interviews in the afternoon is that you get to leave late in the day. Nonetheless, the three interviews went pretty much as advertised. One People Dept, Lindsey Lang, Capt Rick Doran and Capt/Flight log review Larry Voliva. One thing that I hadn’t heard was that each of the interview rooms were decorated in State themes, the Florida room for example. These decorations were somewhat distracting as I thoughtfully tried to compose my answers. In between the interviews we went to the fingerprint machine and had our fingerprints taken. All the interviewers invited me to take off my coat. All were extremely friendly. All took copious notes. Based on my Air Force Flying summary report and a personal spreadsheet(include IP time) the Logbook review went very fast. As a matter of fact I was a little surprised at the speed to which the nums were reviewed and didn’t know if I’d just blown it or not. The longest interview was with Lindsey and the quickest was with Larry and the logbook. Once done, I said goodbye to the guys and grabbed the shuttle to the airport. I had no idea how I’d done and although I kept up the smile till I left the airport in San Antonio I felt a little let down.

Impressions: Just like the LOI, even though you will probably know the questions, take the time to listen. It seemed that several of the questions I was asked were just a little different. Repeat the question in your head and carefully select a story. I had gone to great lengths to memorize the flight number, names of the crew in the flight that I flew up on but was never really asked that question. My first question had to do with my journey up but ripping off names and flight numbers wasn’t appropriate. A simple “excellent, no problems” was all I replied.

The overall experience was extremely worthwhile. All the people from the company whom I met were extraordinarily friendly and professional. I have the impression that all the SW folks, although very relaxed and casual, are extremely good interviewers and know exactly what they’re doing and what they’re looking for. Prepare, prepare, prepare and on game day be yourself.

Questions

How was the journey up?
TMAAT when a flight didn’t go as planned?
Why SWA?
What qualities make you a good fit for SWA
TMAAT you had to intervene in a dispute between co-workers
TMAAT you spoke up about a policy that you thought was unfair
TMAAT that you had to ask for outside help
TMAAT that you had to break a FAR, rule or policy when flying x2
TMA your most challenging flight
TMA your most scariest flight
TMA how you got interested in flying
TMA someone was upset at a decision that you made
TMA a flight you are most proud of
TMA a project you initiated
TMAAT you had to change a plan short notice

SWA Trip Report

A

I stayed at the Renaissance. Made reservations immediately after setting interview date. Shuttle picked me up from the airport and swung by SWA HQ to pick up one of the interviewers. Had a chance to talk to him for 10 or 15 minutes while we drove to the hotel. Hotel is as advertised. Lots of SWA guys running around. Food is half price. Next morning, took the 0700 shuttle with two other interviewees. Make sure you schedule the shuttle when you check in at the hotel.

We got to SWA HQ at about 0720. Five guys were already there. The rest straggled in by 0740. Group was about 50/50 military/civilian. Everyone had a type rating. All but one was dressed in dark blue or black suit. Mostly red ties, a couple of yellow ones. Last guy wore a brown suit. There is a room to store your luggage in for the day. People Department opened just before 0800. Handed in our fingerprint paperwork, showed IDs, and had a chance to get a glass of water. Then we moved into another room to get briefed on the day’s events and separate into our different groups. I had the LOI first, interviews in the afternoon.

LOI scenario was PHX to SAT with unruly passenger. Had about five minutes to gather thoughts. They supply a small dry erase board. I jotted down some notes and came up with a gameplan. As stated in previous reports, the fuel gauge is not a factor. Time on the other hand is. Seven minutes went by VERY fast. I had FO fly and jumpseater get more info about the situation while I made initial contact with dispatch and got weather info for all possible landing fields. All had poor weather except SAT and PHX. Passenger was female. I asked about cockpit and passenger security being at risk? Not at that time. Any other SWA personnel to help out? No. Asked for recommendations from crew. FO said press to SAT. Jumpseater said go back to PHX. I agreed with the PHX option and told FO to get clearance back. Time ran out as I told dispatch we were heading back to PHX and to start booking passengers on new flights. There’s a lot to cover in seven minutes. They leave for a few minutes while you get ready for debrief. Debriefed what I thought were the strong points and what I thought I could have done better. They don’t give you any feedback. Just handle it like any other problem in flight and make a decision and you’ll be fine.

Interview was very relaxed and straightforward. Had logbook review first. Took all of five minutes. I had my own spreadsheet summary showing how I got all my figures. Questions I was asked:

Why SWA?
How did you get started flying?
TMA your scariest flight.
TMA a flight where you worked the hardest and had the greatest sense of reward.
TMAAT when fuel was critical.
TMAAT when you had to counsel someone.
TMAAT when you were counseled by a supervisor.
TMAAT when you noticed something in the cockpit that prevented something bad.
TMAAT when you bent a rule/policy to get something done.
TMAAT you made a quick decision and later regretted it.
TMAAT when you had a conflict with another crewmember in flight.
TMAAT you had an in flight emergency.
Describe a typical day for a SWA pilot.
TMA your best flight – had the most fun while flying.
What do you like least about your job?
How did you prepare for your last checkride?
Ever busted a check ride?
TMAAT a mission didn’t go as planned.
TMAAT when you were pressured into taking an aircraft that shouldn’t have been flown.
TMAA project you initiated at work.

Overall, it was a great experience. Stay relaxed and be yourself and you’ll do fine. Good luck!

SWA Trip Report – Feb 05

Timeline – Type in Sep 04 with K&S Aviation in Phoenix, AZ. Stayed in AZ for sim (200 with 300 upgrade) to save a little cash ($500 discount offered at the time). Submitted application in Nov 04, phone call for an interview offer in Dec 04, interviewed in late Jan 05, phone call in mid Feb 05. Read “Nuts” and majority of “Checklist for Success” to educate myself on the culture and interview process as well as 2 mock interviews with current SWA pilots. Cannot stress enough the importance of the mock interviews.

Most time critical items: Transcripts from high school and college as well as a current passport (blue cover). Also, to avoid full rates at Renaissance Hotel call them ASAP (214-631-2222) for reservation and be sure to tell them you’re there for a Southwest interview. I was able to confirm one night at that rate and the next night was offered at a general airline employee rate.

Overview : Flew to Love Field out of Norfolk. My routing was a little long but worth it. When talking to Reservations, ensure that they know you’re trying to get to Love for an interview, as the original response I heard from agent on the phone was that Norfolk to Love was not offered. After explaining my reason for travel we worked through some different routes. I opted for Norfolk – Jacksonville – Tampa – New Orleans – Love Field. Left at 8amish and arrived around 3pmish. Other options didn’t arrive until past 7pmish and didn’t want to stress any potential enroute hold-ups. As recommended in multiple other reports, I packed lightly and carried everything on. Used one small roller bag as well as a suit bag and nothing more. Highly recommend packing lightly to avoid having to check baggage and risk not having your luggage for interview day! Arrived uneventfully and called Renaissance for pick-up. Shuttle arrived within 10 minutes and took me directly to the hotel, along with a few other folks. This was my first indication that SWA folks are ALWAYS around. These same faces appeared the following morning for the shuttle to SWA but were not interviewees. Took a quick look at my suit in my hotel room to ensure nothing was demolished during the trip. Hotel lobby food is great. Just remember and expect it to be full of SWA employees. Not the time to show your ass! Ordered room service for a small breakfast in the morning and took the 7am shuttle for the 8am interview. Promptly at 8am interview team gathered all interviewees in a meeting room, introducing themselves and explaining the process to all of us collectively. Took a roll call for the 12 expected, realizing there was one no-show. Not good I assume! Anyway, they will split you up, half for the interviews first followed by LOI after lunch and the other half vice versa. I had the interviews first, lunch collectively as a group (some interviewers included) followed by the LOI in the afternoon.

My first interview was the logbook review with a SWA pilot. Spent a few minutes conversing with the interviewer before diving into logbook. I had military logbook as well as an electronic excel version that had a coversheet with flight time break-downs, all bound together in one book from Kinko’s. That appeared to be a hit as the interviewer mentioned several times how impressed he was with the clarity and neatness of the spreadsheet. He never went beyond the first page! After copying some info onto his sheet he asked a few questions and I was finished with my first interview. Upon completion, he asked if I had questions and then thanked me and mentioned again that he was impressed with the logbook presentation. The next interviewer was with a female People Dept interviewer. The third and final interview was with another pilot. Several questions were repeats from different interviewers. In opening remarks, the team mentioned this as a possibility and that the same response is completely acceptable but warned that if the same stories were told but didn’t quite match up amongst interviewers it wouldn’t be good! In other words, don’t get caught in a lie.

Questions asked of me, in no particular order….
Why SWA (x2)
Why you
TMAAT you made a quick decision and the outcome.
TMA your military career
TMA a crewmember you didn’t get along with
TMA your most challenging flight (x2)
Three things you bring to SWA
TMAAT you were asked to do something wrong
TMAAT you helped a coworker, not necessarily airborne
TMAAT you were the first to notice something critical while airborne (x2)
TMA a project you initiated
TMA your most rewarding flight
TMAAT you were the mediator between two coworkers.

Lunch was on the company in the cafeteria. Very impressive dining facility. After lunch we broke back down into our groups and I went for the LOI.

LOI – You are invited into a CPT in the sim building one at a time, given a notecard with a scenario and then left alone for 5 minutes to digest the info. After 5 mins, interviewers come back, ask for any questions, and then start the clock. You have 7 minutes to work through the situation. You are the captain, and you have an interviewer playing the role of co-pilot and another interviewer playing jump-seater. As mentioned in other reports, best to realize there really is no right answer. You WILL be out into a corner so just expect that. Knowing this, I took it as an opportunity to prove that you know how to assign tasks, gather info, and make a decision. As I heard over and over from others – Don’t let time expire without making a decision! After a decision has been made or 7 mins elapse, whichever comes first, the clock is stopped and the interviewers leave the room for 5 minutes, allowing you to collect your thoughts before debriefing them on your perceived performance. I made this a typical fighter pilot debrief in that I was super critical on myself. There is a small whiteboard provided for your use during the LOI and I used this to write down weather reports during the scenario as well as debrief thoughts post scenario. In the debrief I was careful to be critical on lots of smaller points but remained confident in my overall decisions. The interviewers are in “receive mode only.” They will not provide any feedback whatsoever. After that I was escorted to the front of the building (ensuring no gouge could flow back to any other interviewees) where my day concluded.

Overall – Lots of self exerted pressure but extremely rewarding when you get the nod!

Falconjet said:
Mike: Thanks for running that website, it was very helpful to me when I was in the job hunt. (As was this site).

FJ
No problem! Glad I could help :)

320AV8R........wow, you must be bored today with all that copying and pasting haha

Wow! Thanks for emptying your hard drive 320AV8R.

I've seen people mention that they brought additional recomendation letters beyond the required three. Anything gained by that. When does it become too many?

Nice to see flightinfo with some real gouge. Go A320, go!

Back when we used the digital revolution to help each other, this crap was all over the internet.

FYI...Rebekkah Krone is watching. Hope you already got your class date...

AlbieF15 said:
Nice to see flightinfo with some real gouge. Go A320, go!

Back when we used the digital revolution to help each other, this crap was all over the internet.

FYI...Rebekkah Krone is watching. Hope you already got your class date...

I'm confused by the mixed message. Are you saying that SWA or any other company personnel will take revenge upon someone for sharing their experience? This is an aviation interview forum - is it all just a set-up? As I stated before I don't want anyone violated on my behalf. Is it your expert opinion that participating in this forum for its purpose is detrimental to a career?

T2Pilot said:
I'm confused by the mixed message. Are you saying that SWA or any other company personnel will take revenge upon someone for sharing their experience? This is an aviation interview forum - is it all just a set-up? As I stated before I don't want anyone violated on my behalf. Is it your expert opinion that participating in this forum for its purpose is detrimental to a career?

Not exactly. I bet, however, that SWA interviewees sign some kind of non-disclosure agreement prior to beginning the interview. We did at FedEx. Disclosing info that you said you wouldn't disclose would be grounds for not hiring someone or terminating the employment of someone recently hired. Yes, this board is supposed to be anonymous but are you willing to stake your future career on it? My advice? If you have info to share, then share it quietly with your buddies. They can share it with their buddies and so on and so on and, eventually, someone with no dog in the hunt will post it all over the internet.

Southwest is not Fedex and Fedex is not Southwest. I did not sign any type of non-disclosure agreement at Southwest (admittedly over 4 years ago) when I interviewed and other people have stated the same. Companies are different. Fedex had a non-disclosure form a few years back and apparently still does. To each company their own.

Latest resources

Back