Latest on skywest/Coex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coex recalls

I think COEX may have a motive for requiring furloughees to return, I'm just not sure I understand it.

As everything here is, this is what I've been told:
If an XJet guy/gal decides to stay at Skywest, Skywest eats the training cost. If they decide to return to XJet, Xjet pays for their Skywest training. I don't know the specifics, just what I was told in SGU the other day.

Why then would Xjet require them to return? I mean, having to pay a pilot's training twice in a compressed timeframe doesn't seem like the best business-sense to me...

Just an uninformed messenger....

Re: Coex recalls

BE20AV8R said:
I think COEX may have a motive for requiring furloughees to return, I'm just not sure I understand it.

As everything here is, this is what I've been told:
If an XJet guy/gal decides to stay at Skywest, Skywest eats the training cost. If they decide to return to XJet, Xjet pays for their Skywest training. I don't know the specifics, just what I was told in SGU the other day.

Why then would Xjet require them to return? I mean, having to pay a pilot's training twice in a compressed timeframe doesn't seem like the best business-sense to me...

Just an uninformed messenger....

Yes, you are admittedly uninformed, but not to your own fault. It is actually Continental who will reimburse Skywest for the training costs of our furloughed pilots flying at Skywest, not ExpressJet. Furthermore, the requirement that an XJT pilot return to XJT upon his/her recall is based primarily on the fact that Skywest did not "hire" our furloughed pilots. They were pretty much "forced" to take them. Therefore why should Skywest be required to keep them on longterm if the pilot wishes? Shouldn't it be Skywest's decision? That is the reason for the required recall to XJT. Whatever deal an XJT pilot works out with SKYW management is his/her own deal, and not that of ALPA, XJT, or CAL. XJT could care less if this pilot returns to XJT or not, since he/she will have to go through the full initial training program anyways. Doesn't matter if they hire someone off the street or recall the furloughed pilot. There is no savings in training cost.

GJ

NEDude said:
Side letter, part of the original contract, MOU. Whatever, it is basically an addendum to the contract; and the COEX pilot group agreed to it. Maybe the majority of current COEX pilots had nothing to do with it, but it was still agreed to by the COEX pilot group. You were hired under the contract (and all subsequent addendums, MOUs etc) that your pilot group agreed to and are thus bound by them. If you didn't like the contractual provisions, you should not have accepted the job. However if I had to make a guess you, like most other COEX pilots, loved the idea of the flowthrough back when things were going well. It is only now that the industry is in the tank that you do not like it. And my point still remains, this was not forced on COEX pilot group by management, other pilot groups. It was a deal that was offered and subsequently agreed to by the COEX pilot group. If you want to be mad at someone over it, blame the current and former COEX pilots who voted in favor of it.

NEDude, you seem to have a great deal of hostility towards COEX pilots, what’s the reason?

When did you see me complaining about the flow through. I have no problem with it, and as a matter of fact am interested in an enhanced version of it. The flow through provided a huge amount of movement on this list in the good times. Today during the worst time in commercial aviation it kind of sucks, but it sucks for a lot of pilots. There are people here that lost captain seats and are furloughed and of course no one’s jumping for joy. In a couple years movement will again be brisk in the right direction and everyone will be happy.

However NEDude, your characterizations of COEX pilots are incorrect and you need to get over whatever grudge you have against Express.

Ok, as usual, since I don't spend days on here like some people I tend to get confused. From what I have seen and heard.....Skywest tells their people that it will be a full interview and not a meet & greet, meanwhile the CoEx folks are being told by their people to come sign up for the positions at Skywest, they're yours for just showing up. Wow, this is going to be interesting to see who's been telling the truth.

Even better scenario, in my opinion, is 2-3 years down the road when the CoEx guys are getting recalled.... I can imagine the phone call....

CoEx mgmt: Hi Joe, congrats were bringing you back to the family.

Joe: Umm, but I'm a captain on the E120 and getting ready to transition over to the jet here at SKW soon.

CoEX: Oh sorry, you have to come back it's part of the deal. But don't worry, we have a nice FO spot for you at the bottom of the list. You can be right back up to captain in a few years...or so.

And you never know what SKW will say in 2-3 years. "No problem, sure you can stay''...or maybe "see ya, thanks for temping for us"

Oh what a fun and interesting ride its going to be for all!

jake100 said:
From what I have seen and heard.....Skywest tells their people that it will be a full interview and not a meet & greet, meanwhile the CoEx folks are being told by their people to come sign up for the positions at Skywest, they're yours for just showing up. Wow, this is going to be interesting to see who's been telling the truth.

I'm not sure what SKYW management told its pilots in the past but I know for a fact that they will be doing "meet and greet" interviews, and these will be conducted very soon. The hope is to get 6-8 XJT guys into SKYW classes as early as late June to early July.

GJ

Speaking of late June, early July... has anyone heard of a "Firm" class date coming up? And, if it is the hope of X-jet to have 6-8 of their people in class by then will the rest be poolies or will it be a small class? Thanks!

NEDude said:
Side letter, part of the original contract, MOU. Whatever, it is basically an addendum to the contract; and the COEX pilot group agreed to it. Maybe the majority of current COEX pilots had nothing to do with it, but it was still agreed to by the COEX pilot group. You were hired under the contract (and all subsequent addendums, MOUs etc) that your pilot group agreed to and are thus bound by them. If you didn't like the contractual provisions, you should not have accepted the job. However if I had to make a guess you, like most other COEX pilots, loved the idea of the flowthrough back when things were going well. It is only now that the industry is in the tank that you do not like it. And my point still remains, this was not forced on COEX pilot group by management, other pilot groups. It was a deal that was offered and subsequently agreed to by the COEX pilot group. If you want to be mad at someone over it, blame the current and former COEX pilots who voted in favor of it.

NE Dude,

Mind your own house please. You do not work for XJet, so you have no clue how our pilots feel or act toward the FTA. There are alot of emotions regarding the issue, but they are wide ranging and I can assure there is no universal opinon. You as an outside observer are seeking to pin our pilot group as a bunch of cry babies who only saw good in the FTA and can't live with the fact that we lived to see the downside. Trust me, I saw downsides to it long before 9-11 and they weren't just potential CAL flowbacks. I doubt you have the slightest clue of the dynamics of all of this.

So until you have a seniority number a CAL or XJet, mind your own house. Wonder why your pilot group is chosing this time to be interested in organizing. Wonder why on Earth Commutair didn't make more of an aggressive grab at the IAH flying. Wonder why Commutair got stuck flying for Continental instead of Airways, which lead to pretty sizeable furloughs there before 9-11.

And for the last time CAL will not be hiring by 2005. After furloughing 175 more just two months ago, I would hope this would of changed your perspective. Any CAL guy that told you different on a jumpseat was sorely mistaken. There are 400+ furloughed plus 118 Express guys which all go back before CAL opens any app windows. There is little to no growth in airframes over the next 3 years and retirements at CAL do not peak significantly until 2006. CAL never has hired pilots like UAL or DAL did in the good days. In fact, CAL didn't even hire in 2000. CAL will be very lucky to have all the furloughed back by 2005. All that makes Gordo content, because he gets his industry leading compensation no matter what and that's all he cares about in the end.

Last edited:
George Jetson said:
I'm not sure what SKYW management told its pilots in the past but I know for a fact that they will be doing "meet and greet" interviews, and these will be conducted very soon. The hope is to get 6-8 XJT guys into SKYW classes as early as late June to early July.

GJ

Well GJ, unless you're a CoEx bigwig (i.e. senior management), I think I'll wait to see what really happens. Is the info that you know for a fact coming from a talking head at the union (and they they never ever put a spin on anything) or are you sleeping with the bigwigs. Maybe it is a meet and greet or maybe it's not....who knows?? I would hate to be a guy going in to meet with the SKW team thinking it's going to be a m & g, and it turns out to be a full interview.
:confused:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back