Latest CAL System Bid Snap Shot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAL EWR B737 said:
Believe it or not I was based as a new hire in LAX as an 727 S/O because nobody else wanted it! Always hear rumors but not sure if it's just started by those with wishful thinking. It's always possible but haven't heard anything at all.

Ha ha, have you ever flown with Jessica S.?:laugh:

psysicx said:
How long would someone on the 777 be on reserve on the F/o side?

Depends on how junior you are when you go the 777. If you are very junior my best guess a year or two as you will be leap frogged by more senior pilots constantly bidding in front of you. However with the implementation of PBS it may be shorter as they say it requires less reserves. Don't get me started on PBS please don't need my blood pressure to rise today.
If you bid onto the 777 as a middle of the road reserve probably within a year. All these projections I have given today are contingent on age 60 remanning unchanged.

ACWild said:
Ha ha, have you ever flown with Jessica S.?:laugh:

Jessica haven't heard that name in a few years. No, Jessica was only a couple hundred numbers senior to me so we never flew together. I did conduct a strike committee training class and she was one of only a few to show up though. Hey look for some of my GYE trips, I really like the trip. Steak dinner and cerveza on me.

Am I Seeing This Correct?!??!

Based on the projection, is the most junior pilot holding* EWR 777 FO a new hire who hasn't even started OE on the 737 yet??!?!?!?!

unbelieveable if true!

*nothing is true until the bid closes, I know

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Ben Franklin said:
Based on the projection, is the most junior pilot holding* EWR 777 FO a new hire who hasn't even started OE on the 737 yet??!?!?!?!

unbelieveable if true!

*nothing is true until the bid closes, I know

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Yep. If this current snapshot holds true, newhires (at least a few not even on property yet) would go into the 777 EWR.

psysicx said:
How long would someone on the 777 be on reserve on the F/o side?

PBS may change everything. I am an ewr777fo and PBS is building very low time lines for a majority of the pilots during the mock bid. If the reserves are not used much (like now) then you may find more senior pilots bidding reserve since it pays as much or more than a good deal of the pbs lines. I live in base and have not decided what I will do when it turns on for real. If I can fly one trip a month for 76hrs why fly two and a half or three trips for 74:30? Everyone is bidding lines during the mock bids for practice but when it turns on a junior pilot may be surprised by the number of bidders above the g line bidding R. It will all depend on reserve usage and staffing levels (line values).

ks

My thoughts...

Being junior on the B737 in EWR is the worst flying out there. Super early shows with lots of delays, because you have lots of legs in and out of EWR with delays.

Being middle to senior on the B737, is pretty good. You can do transcons, Caribbean, and Central America.

On the B757, it's ok, but not great. Easy Europe flying, but you'll never get a ton of days off.

B777 on reserve, you would never fly.

Anyone care to chime in or add anything... ?

Results of the bid are out and there are new hires in training awarded the 777 in EWR. Absolutely amazing. I have less than a year with the airline and have already left the 737 and will complete training on the 757/767 in a week or so and hold the airplane at 65% in EWR. I'll be bidding around 78 percent as soon as I get off IOE and should move up to 65% in the next 9 months. That's a decent line with a mix of domestic and Europe flying, or pure Europe flying as an IRO. My buddy misbid and was awarded 777 fo and will now go through 3 training cycles in 14 months. On a brighter note, he'll have 4 type ratings in 14 months. 100 new captain positions were awarded in EWR alone on the 737. Junior guy was a Feb/2001 hire.

IAHERJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back