• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest CAL System Bid Snap Shot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't blame you or Doug for anything. In fact, I'm very grateful to both of you. Most of my brutal schedule can be attributed to the summer frenzy and weather.
QOL is about time and money. The 737 doesn't seem to calculate the way that I want it to and I do miss international flying. Dealing with MDW, IAH, TPA, weather, controllers, etc. is work. Doug told me that he's never going back to international flying. I on the other hand enjoy long haul.
Right now, my big dilemma is choosing between the 756 and 777. If this is my biggest issue, then believe me that things aren't bad at all. Every pilot should have such issues. :D

ACWild said:
I don't blame you or Doug for anything. In fact, I'm very grateful to both of you. Most of my brutal schedule can be attributed to the summer frenzy and weather.
QOL is about time and money. The 737 doesn't seem to calculate the way that I want it to and I do miss international flying. Dealing with MDW, IAH, TPA, weather, controllers, etc. is work. Doug told me that he's never going back to international flying. I on the other hand enjoy long haul.
Right now, my big dilemma is choosing between the 756 and 777. If this is my biggest issue, then believe me that things aren't bad at all. Every pilot should have such issues. :D

Hey I don't blame you one bit. I am hanging on the 737 to be senior or fairly senior for the first time in my 19 1/2 years here. I have grown to hate the domestic two to four legs a day stuff you talk about. I have found some salvation in the North/South 737 long haul for the time being. One leg a day all 800 and minimal time changes. I am getting quite addicted to this form of international. I'm just not ready to be junior on the 756 doing six trips across the pond to the junior unproductive cities. Good luck and hope you get what you want.

Frats

CAL EWR B737 said:
Hey I don't blame you one bit. I am hanging on the 737 to be senior or fairly senior for the first time in my 19 1/2 years here. I have grown to hate the domestic two to four legs a day stuff you talk about. I have found some salvation in the North/South 737 long haul for the time being. One leg a day all 800 and minimal time changes. I am getting quite addicted to this form of international. I'm just not ready to be junior on the 756 doing six trips across the pond to the junior unproductive cities. Good luck and hope you get what you want.

Frats

To be honest with you, I'm not even sure what I really want.:laugh: Thanks!

CAL EWR B737 said:
Well, your friend Doug got most of his info from me I was his sponsor.....

I didn't know CAL had "sponsors". Do you mean you gave him your recommendation? So far, I have only heard the term "sponsor" associated with FedEx...did this recently change at CAL?

Apparently, recommendations put applicants at the top of the heap. You're tied to the people you recommend, so I guess it's a sponsorship. If your friend is known to be a troublemaker, you need to think twice about giving the good word since you'll be called to the office to answer for their stupidity.
I don't know the ins and outs of the system, but as a newhire, I was fortunate enough to give a recommendation to a friend who got an interview.

StuckMic said:
I didn't know CAL had "sponsors". Do you mean you gave him your recommendation? So far, I have only heard the term "sponsor" associated with FedEx...did this recently change at CAL?

This is how it was explained to me by several management pilots. It may not technically be called a sponsor but that is how they view it. The process of referring a pilot is a two step process. Online referral and a personal visit with your assistant chief pilot. During this visit the sponsors record is reviewed and the sponsor is sort of interviewed about his/her referral.

As it was explained to me "the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree" theory is how CAL management looks at referrals. If your being recommended by someone in the 5% who is always in trouble that will hurt the applicants chances significantly. I was also told the sponsor would be consulted if the pilot has trouble within the first year. Also at least in the three pilots I sponsored you get to hire the pilot if he/she is successful. So call it what you like but it is a sponsorship.

Last edited:
T-Gates said:
How are the schedules in CLE on the 737? How long on reserve? It looks like it doesn't take too long to hold it.

Haven't looked at a CLE B737 bid package but best guess is a mixture of domestic flying. Some single leg trips back and forth to the West coast. A mixture of flying in and out of EWR and IAH. Minimal international flying, believe it or not we do a fair amount of International flying in IAH and EWR to the Caribbean and Central and South America. Reserve best guess - longer than EWR and IAH very small base at least six months maybe as long as a year. You could probably hold CLE on first system bid after intial training. We contractually have at least two system bids a year no more than 10 months apart. Historically every six months and an occasional adjustment bid (mini bid between system bids).

ACWild said:
To be honest with you, I'm not even sure what I really want.:laugh: Thanks!

I'm sure you already know this but something to consider. One small benefit in our POS concessionary contract is the ability to get out of an equipment freeze by bidding up in aircraft size in the same status. You can always go up 737-756-777, however if you go to the 777 you can't bid down to the 756 or 737 until you complete the two year freeze or bid to any captain seat. Something to consider.

CAL EWR B737 said:
I'm sure you already know this but something to consider. One small benefit in our POS concessionary contract is the ability to get out of an equipment freeze by bidding up in aircraft size in the same status. You can always go up 737-756-777, however if you go to the 777 you can't bid down to the 756 or 737 until you complete the two year freeze or bid to any captain seat. Something to consider.

Thanks! I did consider this and it is one of the reasons that the decision is so tough. You've been very helpful and informative. If we ever fly together, the first round is on me. I'd offer for the second one too, but Doug would laugh his butt off if you tell him that.:laugh:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back