IAH 777 CA DOH - 11/83
IAH 777 FO DOH - 3/98

NYC 737 CA DOH - 2/01
NYC 737 FO DOH - 6/06

NYC 756 CA DOH - 4/90
NYC 756 FO DOH - 6/06

NYC 777 CA DOH - 4/85
NYC 777 FO DOH - 6/06

What is posted above is a snap shot released by the company as of yesterday. This is a snap shot of our latest equipment system bid if it would have closed yesterday. These numbers are subject to change as some may change their bid choices prior to the bid closing on the forth.

I converted the bottom numbers to estimated dates of hire where applicable. This is just an estimate, our seniority list is a combination of mergers. CAL/TI, CAL/NYA, CAL/PEX, CAL/Frontier CALEXP PDP, CALEXP flow through , CALEXP 113 mixed in with pure DOH from CAL new hires from the 70's 80's 90's and 2000's.

WOW! 02/01 for EWR 737 CA. Thats just crazy. With retirements and growth, that will probably continue to become more and more junior. Maybe we'll see two year upgrades at CAL and the upgrades at CAL EX will go up to around 10.

To give you an idea of where a new hire might fit in his/her relative seniority, my buddy who was hired in June of 05 the beginning of our hiring would hold the following equipment at approximate percentages.

250 below the most junior captain

35% NYC 737 FO
47% NYC 756 FO
50% IAH 737 FO
75% GUM 737 FO
75% CLE 737 FO
85% IAH 756 FO
90% NYC 777 FO

Some noteworthy points. At CAL we have big system bids that look out a year ahead of time instead of frequent smaller bids that only look forward a few months like most carriers. I and many of our pilots would prefer smaller more frequent bids. This is where one is estimated to be one year from today. When the bid results are posted we will train towards this bid. There will be a new bid out in six to ten months modifying this one and well you get the point. As long as the airline moves in a forward direction these numbers should be the same or better on the next bid. Hope I didn't confuse you.

Last edited:
First thanks for posting this info!! Any idea on when they are going to start calling in for the larger interview groups? i.e. when the summer slow down will end ....once again thanks alot for posting helpful info on here.

lookin4better said:
First thanks for posting this info!! Any idea on when they are going to start calling in for the larger interview groups? i.e. when the summer slow down will end ....once again thanks alot for posting helpful info on here.

Well this is what I have heard. We are extremely short staffed on 737 FO's. My three buddies who are new hires are getting phone messages from crew scheduling for junior manning several times a week.

The company slowed hiring down over the summer to send instructors back to the line. Doesn't make to much sense to me but never the less I have heard they have been hiring only a class or so the last few months. Supposed to hire 24 or so in Sept and then 60 a month from OCT thru April.

I also heard KD Jost left his position in pilot recruitment to instruct on the 777, not sure who replacement will be. They are going to have to really max out interviewing process ASAP to fill projected classes. See other thread on potential early retirements. Hope this info helps.

Some additional info that could effect CAL hiring. Our lump sum multiplier for our frozen "A" plan is based on the GATT rate. The GATT rate has an inverse relationship to interest rates. The GATT rate is published twice a year June and November.

For many of our pilots nearing retirement it may be more financially advantageous to retire early before the end of November. In some cases the difference could be like working for free.

Rumors have anywhere from 50 to 350 early retirements, time will tell how many will really retire, talk is cheap. 2007 is our peak year in normal age 60 retirements with just over 300.

Great stuff! I'm looking around and can't seem to find this info, but I'm pretty bad with their computer system. I put in a bid that I didn't think I had a shot at. Now looking at the numbers, I think I better reconsider. :D

ACWild said:
Great stuff! I'm looking around and can't seem to find this info, but I'm pretty bad with their computer system. I put in a bid that I didn't think I had a shot at. Now looking at the numbers, I think I better reconsider. :D

Go to the Flight Operations section...under latest updates on the main page...

System Bid Seniority Snapshot

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back