• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest at Hawaiian?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Making applicants sit in a circle and put on a hat and tell how this hat pertains to wanting to fly for HAL is demeaning. Check your ego hiring department!

Back in 08' and 09' they had you pick a hat... No one said you had to wear it... I didn't... They don't do that anymore... They (hr) I think got a lot of grief over it (thank god)... Now they just pass around a bowl with questions in it and have you answer it in front of your group...

Making applicants sit in a circle and put on a hat and tell how this hat pertains to wanting to fly for HAL is demeaning. Check your ego hiring department!

Actually, I heard the explanation behind the hat dance. It's to see how well you do with dealing with the unexpected and also how well you interact with others you don't know that well. Something along those lines. If your able to deal with it, it says a lot about you, If you think it's beneath you, than you probably wouldn't be the best candidate.

Actually, I heard the explanation behind the hat dance. It's to see how well you do with dealing with the unexpected and also how well you interact with others you don't know that well. Something along those lines. If your able to deal with it, it says a lot about you, If you think it's beneath you, than you probably wouldn't be the best candidate.

I would rather fly a four day trip with someone who thought it was retarded...

Mookie

The way I see it, is that at any other profession, it's the professionals that make the hiring decisions, not the HR department. Doctors decide who joins their practice, not HR. Architects decide who joins their firms, not HR. Lawyers interview and select new junior partners, not HR. I certainly don't mind HR playing a part in the process, especially at corporations as large as airlines. But it should be the pilots themselves - with strict rules, procedures, and oversight - that run the process and make the decisions. We demean the profession, and give up a lot of 'quality control', by allowing others to make the decisions.

Just my 2 cents.

HAL

Can't say I disagree completely, but the hiring process has always been a major hoop to jump through. It's not possible to hire everyone who should be hired, so the process is always going to be controversial. Look at the airlines pre dereg. Uniteds infamaous Stanine test was the classic example. I also question much of what these guys go through as being necessary. I'm blown away at some of the math these guys have to do. But when I heard the explanation about the hat deal, it made more sense.
They have certainly done a good job of finding good pilots, but I agree flight division should have a stronger say than HR. However, perhaps they do and they don't let on. It would be pretty convenient for them to say, in response to "why didn't my rec get hired?"....sorry, it's HR's fault. The fact is, everyone you talk to is pretty guarded with what they say. Personally I think the root of the problem lies at the feet of the lawyers more than than anything else.

I'll take having to choose a hat anyday over having to choose a stuffed animal.

For anyone who might know the answer,

I got called for the interview a few months back, but couldn't get the time off. What is the likelihood that I can reschedule or would I have to start over from square one??? Thanks!

Latest resources

Back