• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest at Hawaiian?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I feel like its all timing and strong networking... Not to mention if there are skeletons in the closet people already might know about them... I know a guy that got hired this past feb who literally walked into HR during interviews and asked if the CP was avail... This was last June and he got hired in feb... First time interview.... Crazy... Know another guy like JMT who has interviewed a bunch as well and is well connected but his 'history' is known by some... No luck yet either... For me it was a lot of persistence... Every other month at the CPs office and calling buddies and pestering... If you want it bad enough it can happen... Unless farkas has already met you and deemed you unsat... That guy is a true DB...
Best of luck... This place is pretty killer...

I'm one of those guys who interviewed 4 times since 2008 and still didn't get hired. I'm a local boys, with many relatives working for Hawaiian, many letters of recommendations from Hawaiian captains I've flown with, and 6 years of part 121 experience turboprop and jet. I've made many visits to the chief pilot's office, to show him that I really want the job, yet he keeps telling me that the pool of candidates is very competitive. Yet, year after year, I see Hawaiian hiring a lot guys with no part 121 experience, no Turbine PIC...that's just plain BS! Many people told me "at least you got an interview at Hawaiian" but is get gets old and just like Hal said, I feel the whole hiring process has turned away and alienated many good candidates.

You know dude, I feel your pain but why would you want to work for a company that is that blind to an obvious thing? Let them pound sand! Vote with your feet and go apply at Fedex. Their hiring window is open and you'll make a hell of a lot more money!!

I feel like its all timing and strong networking... Not to mention if there are skeletons in the closet people already might know about them... I know a guy that got hired this past feb who literally walked into HR during interviews and asked if the CP was avail... This was last June and he got hired in feb... First time interview.... Crazy... Know another guy like JMT who has interviewed a bunch as well and is well connected but his 'history' is known by some... No luck yet either... For me it was a lot of persistence... Every other month at the CPs office and calling buddies and pestering... If you want it bad enough it can happen... Unless farkas has already met you and deemed you unsat... That guy is a true DB...

I guess me and everybody else who didn't get hired didn't want it bad enough...that explains everything...

I hear this from a few friends that have made it, so to speak. There are so many of us, and so few good jobs. The “you just have to want it bad enough”, declaration by the lucky few. Shear numbers of us, is at play. HR treats pilots like crap, because they can.

I'm one of those guys who interviewed 4 times since 2008 and still didn't get hired. I'm a local boys, with many relatives working for Hawaiian, many letters of recommendations from Hawaiian captains I've flown with, and 6 years of part 121 experience turboprop and jet. I've made many visits to the chief pilot's office, to show him that I really want the job, yet he keeps telling me that the pool of candidates is very competitive. Yet, year after year, I see Hawaiian hiring a lot guys with no part 121 experience, no Turbine PIC...that's just plain BS! Many people told me "at least you got an interview at Hawaiian" but is get gets old and just like Hal said, I feel the whole hiring process has turned away and alienated many good candidates.

You know dude, I feel your pain but why would you want to work for a company that is that blind to an obvious thing? Let them pound sand! Vote with your feet and go apply at Fedex. Their hiring window is open and you'll make a hell of a lot more money!!

UUUUMMMM, FedEx isn't any different than the red colored statement, but yeah, you'll probably make a lot more money.

PtP

Originally Posted by jmt
The whole hiring process has turned away and alienated many good candidates.

UUUUMMMM, FedEx isn't any different than the red colored statement, but yeah, you'll probably make a lot more money.
PtP

Delta isn't any different than the red colored statement either. It seems that HR has control of the interview process at most Major airlines, and you must impress a psychiatrist and pass his testing to even be considered.

Take this for what it's worth... Yes HR has the majority of control when it comes to the applicants... They sift through the various stacks of resumes (yes, stacks... One stack for guys with a local address, another for a local with internal recs, another for non-local with internal recs and so on...). Then they start making calls for interviews... If you have made to stage two then they total up all your points and you are now in a list in the order of how you did on the testing, interviews and sim.... From there the list goes in front of the CPs and they start at the top of it and work down and pull names for the third phase... The list of names is good for the whole year from when they opened the application window... If you get the third phase call you are as good as in... Unless Farkas catches something really stupid that you put down ( it's happened and they were done... Take your time on the psych tests)... This break down is from what I have been told and from what I have witnessed myself after three years of bangingnmynhead on their door.... It's not perfect but there is not one company out there that doesn't make you jump through the hoops...
Lately it seems that they take a cross section of all types of flying backgrounds.... One class is not all 121 regional guys... Its a mix of international freight, local 135, local cargo, mainland regional, military, etc...
JMT... I was told that you have to see more than just the CP.... Maybe you have... If you can get upto the training dept with some of the HAL pilots you know then that will help.... Talk to the director of training, the director of ops, even the contract guys that are retired HAL pilots ( those guys have amazing influence... Just ask all the guys coming over from Trans Air).... If you have done those things then great... You want it bad enough... If not then you have more work to do....
I can say I wanted it bad enough and yes I was lucky and fortunate... I was in the same pool as thousands of others... This was how I did it... Maybe it will work for others... Best of luck

Take this for what it's worth... Yes HR has the majority of control when it comes to the applicants... They sift through the various stacks of resumes (yes, stacks... One stack for guys with a local address, another for a local with internal recs, another for non-local with internal recs and so on...). Then they start making calls for interviews... If you have made to stage two then they total up all your points and you are now in a list in the order of how you did on the testing, interviews and sim.... From there the list goes in front of the CPs and they start at the top of it and work down and pull names for the third phase... The list of names is good for the whole year from when they opened the application window... If you get the third phase call you are as good as in... Unless Farkas catches something really stupid that you put down ( it's happened and they were done... Take your time on the psych tests)... This break down is from what I have been told and from what I have witnessed myself after three years of bangingnmynhead on their door.... It's not perfect but there is not one company out there that doesn't make you jump through the hoops...
Lately it seems that they take a cross section of all types of flying backgrounds.... One class is not all 121 regional guys... Its a mix of international freight, local 135, local cargo, mainland regional, military, etc...
JMT... I was told that you have to see more than just the CP.... Maybe you have... If you can get upto the training dept with some of the HAL pilots you know then that will help.... Talk to the director of training, the director of ops, even the contract guys that are retired HAL pilots ( those guys have amazing influence... Just ask all the guys coming over from Trans Air).... If you have done those things then great... You want it bad enough... If not then you have more work to do....
I can say I wanted it bad enough and yes I was lucky and fortunate... I was in the same pool as thousands of others... This was how I did it... Maybe it will work for others... Best of luck

808 that was very well said. The simple fact is the quality of pilots we have hired has been simply outstanding. I also agree that, no doubt, good people are still trying. There is something to be said that perhaps too many pilots are getting interviewed and not hired. But you could also say that Hawaiian is trying to be as fair as possible to as many pilots as possible. They are finding pilots that come from all kinds of different aeronautical backgrounds and the one thing they have in common is they are, by and large, doing a great job. It's no secret we are expanding a lot and adding new A/C to our fleet. It's no small undertaking and the quality of pilots they are hiring is an important link in the chain. I'm sorry not everyone that should be hired can get hired, but Hawaiian is doing a great job of finding pilots well qualified to fill the vacancies that our International expansion has created. We have grown and hired a lot in the last few years, and it's been going well. I have seen were the quality of pilots they have hired has been an important factor in that success.

AnimalTale,

jmt is a true professional, sharp, and knowledgable in all areas, and is one of the "good ones" that got away due to what Hawaiian has done to the hiring process.

Tarnished reputation? Incorrect statement on your part.

Respectfully,
slatsnfive

Hey thanks Slatsnfive. I haven't given up on Hawaiian yet, I'll keep trying...

Latest resources

Back