• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Latest AA rumors....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If they want to park more jets - more power to them! I have given up hope of being recalled so I don't give a crap if they shrink down to nothing.

That's exactly the opposite scenario from what one of the more reputable CPs thinks. The recall thread from a few weeks back had more details on those 2007 plans. Interesting times when the union official is working to manage your expectations and the management guy is providing an optimistic outlook.

80drvr,

I think the union guy is telling us what AMR and the "Hat" is telling them as well. While not very bright, I am sure they are trying to keep their stories straight.

Hang on, it's going to get bumpy!

AA

Ralph says... wait a minute just got a new APA disinformation hotline email, now I'll get the straight poop. Oh well, Ralph says more of the same sh$t. Shrink, don't shrink, see if I care.

Just my two cent, I don't think that AA's ego will alow them to continue to shrink. They want to be the largest airline in the world that's the reason they bought TWA. If SWA and CO continue to grow they will both be larger. No way will AA be number three.

Lots of interesting stuff here.

It does make some sense not to recall during during negotiations. Domestic capacity finally came down to where it needed to be to create profits. The plan to shrink, along with most other big carriers, has worked. But there are two other, more plausible plans...

One is to keep them all on furlough long enough to quit. Then AA can hire first year folks at substantially lower salary.

The other is cost. Gas prices, a couple of months ago, actually supported the idea of parking the Super 80 fleet when flying up against the 73NG and A320. Flying planes 20-30% less efficient is hard to do with oil at $80/barrel.

Going forward...

The economy may be slowing down. That will hurt growth options and further hinder recalls.

But oil is now coming down. The Super 80's suddenly look profitable.

Last edited:
Just my two cent, I don't think that AA's ego will alow them to continue to shrink. They want to be the largest airline in the world that's the reason they bought TWA. If SWA and CO continue to grow they will both be larger. No way will AA be number three.

If AA could beat the APA into a stinky contract they would. Then they would start an expansion and go back to eating up the competition.

Remember in a couple years this was said. It will happen.

Then I'll claim my fortune teller fee ;)

AA was Carty, AA is now Arpey, if they can continue to shrink and line their pocket with multi-million dollar bonuses I don't think they would care if they were no.1 or no.3.. IMO. Crandall had an ego, Carty was an ego-maniac, Arpey is all about the money.

AA

Latest resources

Back