• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Larry resigns from CAL as CEO

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
Looks like good ol Larry is resigning from CAL.

Last edited:

CheapFlyer

Total Time
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/continental-air-coo-smisek-to-become-chairman-ceo

Continental Air COO Smisek to become chairman, CEO

LOS ANGELES (MarketWatch) -- Continental Airlines said late Thursday that President and Chief Operating Officer Jeff Smisek will become chairman and chief executive officer, effective Jan. 1, 2010. Smisek will succeed Larry Kellner, who will become the head of Emerald Creek Group LLC, a new Houston-based private investment firm, after 14 years with the air carrier. Smisek said in a statement that he and Kellner will work together over the next several months to ensure a smooth transition.

NavinRJohnson

Registered Gorer
Total Time
Dunno
Any bets on which way the airline will go under Smisek's reign? My bet is everything stays the same....

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
He's a lawyer......we be ********************ED.

EMBpilot

Total Time
~14K
Larry commuted from socal for years so it was always a matter of time and good resume before he bails.
Jeff is OK, but he called CAL pilots "not so bright" in my face.

Expect more psychological warfare about how good the management is, how challenging the environment is and less hope for a contract.

Cardinal

Of The Kremlin
Total Time
K's
Kellner did not one visionary thing during his reign. He just monitored the FMS (which was programmed at the gate by Bethune) all these years. But passing the ball to a lawyer, good luck guys. You'll need it.

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
Something is up lately in IAH. There's too much going on with CAL and our union and closed door meetings and this and that.....something is up. I'm guessing a merger soon. Boy, was I wrong in coming to CAL!!! Anyone want to sell coconuts?

Flying the Line

Total Time
CAL hires the best pilots and management. What say you SFR?

Cobraair75drvr

Total Time
12000+
Merger with ual or useless air and Doug Steenland as CEO:eek:

Something is up lately in IAH. There's too much going on with CAL and our union and closed door meetings and this and that.....something is up. I'm guessing a merger soon. Boy, was I wrong in coming to CAL!!! Anyone want to sell coconuts?

contrail67

Total Time
STAR alliance is done....1 week later, Kellner takes off.....

This is all part of a plan. Expect things to start moving. Not because Kellner is gone but the getting approved to join the alliance was the final hurdle that needed to be jumped. Nothing else in the way.

These guys have this whole thing charted out already.

contrail67

Total Time

Proabably a stupid question: Do you know who is behind the closed door meetings?...any UAL union folks or MGMNT types down there? Just curious.

You sell the coconuts and I will train people how to open them....I need a new side job.

tomgoodman

Total Time
It worked once

But passing the ball to a lawyer, good luck guys. You'll need it.

Probably depends on the lawyer. As I recall, Southwest's BOD passed the ball from founder Lamar Muse to the company's lawyer, Herb Kelleher. Granted, he was not an ordinary lawyer.

jonjuan

Honey Ryder
Total Time
3,000+
Probably depends on the lawyer. As I recall, Southwest's BOD passed the ball from founder Lamar Muse to the company's lawyer, Herb Kelleher. Granted, he was not an ordinary lawyer.

No kidding-he liked to drink a fifth a day.

whatitdoing?

Are you awake? Good
Total Time
>9500
Proabably a stupid question: Do you know who is behind the closed door meetings?...any UAL union folks or MGMNT types down there? Just curious.

You sell the coconuts and I will train people how to open them....I need a new side job.

Well, I know our MEC has been meeting with UAL's MEC recently, but I thought that was about the Star Alliance. Who knows? But I firmly believe a merge is in the works and we all better hang on. You get furloughed.....you be farked. Either way, if we merge, I'm doing something else in life. I'll be at the bottom on a scarebus ORD reserve singing vara shaka with the local home boyz. Damn this sucks..............

Shrek

Total Time
I would sit RSV in ORD any day over flying trips out of SGN.

It is all how you look at it.........my brown sandwich is on French Bread. Take out the brown (Tilton) and you have a start of a better future. :)

How you been Tit - keep your chin up mate.

bizicmo

Total Time
+1000
I have to say something smells fishy. Star alliance one week and then resignation the next. Didn't Bethune step down right before all the concessionary contracts were created for the employee groups as a way to "distance himself from that decision." Could this be a way to distance himself from what's coming?