Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

exeagle

Your advice please.

I would like to get a laptop to use on trips for internet access, etc. My question is, where is the best place to purchase one, and what brand has the best reputation at the most reasonable price? I dont really need all the fancy stuff like cd writer and dvd player. Thanks.. :confused:

Last edited:
I recently bought an offbrand (NorthStar) on the Home Shopping Network. It has a P4 1.7 Ghz procesor, 128MB memory, 20 GB hard drive, CDRW/DVD drive, 5 USB ports, S Video, 15" LCD display.. Comes with Win XP and a bunch of other software... $1399 and you can pay interest free over 5 months.. Plus you can return it if you don't like it.

Oh.. It also has a 56K modem and has a high speed ethernet card installed for those hotels that have high speed internet access.

I've had it almost a month and love it.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend the Dell Inspiron series. Over the last few years, I've had several myself and have been very happy with the quality of construction, customer service and tech support. Check out these sites....

www.delloutlet.com
www.outletcomputer.com
or search for inspiron on ebay

I have had two Compaqs...
cant say anything but good things...
I was sold on the second after the first broke (my fault) two months OUT of extended warranty (a must)...they picked it up, fixed it, even replaced the beat up case, and had it back to me in a week..free......needless to say I bought another soon after..
plus they are relativly cheap (1200 for last one) so if it does get beat up badly I dont feel as bad.
Being on the corporate side its nice to have DVD if you are sitting a few nights in someplace REAL crappy and you resort to movies in your room....sad.
The one I have now is a Presario 1Ghz, got it at Circuit City sometimes they have decent sales and I just personally like to go in and walk out with something as opposed to online purchases....impulse buyer...
BUT, if money is not as big a deal - I wouls say go with IBM....I had a thinkpad and it was the most solid, quietest laptop I owned, yet was expensive...good if your employer is paying!!!!

I would have to recommend Dell. I have the Insprion 8100. It does everything that my desktop does (play games, burn CDs, edit my pictures), but I can take it with me everywhere that I go. I even have the Cellphone adapter.

It rocks, Dell has been the best for me.

Compaq, Toshiba, and Dell are all good. If you want something lite and small look at the Toshiba Portege. Sony also makes some very small models. Compaq does too but I can't remember the model name. They are all very similar you just have to hunt for the best deal at the time of purchase. I have owned several Toshiba and Compaqs over the years and all are still running. How do I know? I have given my old ones to friends and family to use. An extended warranty might not be a bad idea, especially if you are going to take it on the road a lot. Repairs on laptops can be expensive. Any laptop with a 14-15" screen will be pretty heavy to lug around in your flight back. Personally I would get one with a 12.1" if you are planning on being a road warrior. My Presario has a 15" screen and weighs close to 8 lbs not including the AC adapter, etc.

- AZPilot

I have had absolutely no problems with my Dell Inspiron. I do wish I had gotten the DVD though. I'd love to be able watch a movie instead of watching the weather channel at some FBO for hours.

Count one more for the Dell Inspiron. I just bought the Inspiron 8200 and I absolutely love it. PC World just rated it their "Best Buy" last month. With all the free upgrades I recieved, the performance it delivers and quality it is well worth the price in my opinion. Customer service is very important to me and I've heard from many Dell owners that they were very happy with the customer service they recieved. I haven't had to contact them as of yet, but they have been great about sending me letters thanking me for my purchase, etc... Only thing about Dell is that if you do need to have it serviced, you need to mail it to them instead of just taking it to Best Buy or Circuit City like you would if you bought a Compaq, Toshiba, or some other store brand.

If you want the basics, the 8200 might be a bit more than you need. I would look at their other models which would be a little cheaper too. Check out their website to see which one suits your needs.

But if you do have to mail it Dell picks up the bill. Also they have an agreement with Airborne Express, they have the boxes there, you can just take you computer there (or they will come and pick it up for you if you wish), they they will next day it to the service center. Return is the same way Airborne Express.

Toshiba customer support is HORRIBLE!

Or, at least it was a couple years ago.

Not to mention they sold the milling equipment to the Soviets back in the eighties so now we have a bugger of a time tracking their much quieter submarines. Who knows if their desire for a buck or two will ever come back to haunt us in the blood of American sailors (didn't find out about that until AFTER I bought their piece of crap computer).

The support is worth the $$$$. Definitely go with Dell and buy the three year warranty.

Bottom line: ALWAYS AVOID TOSHIBA!

Latest resources

Back