• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Laptops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is being typed from a Dell Inspiron 8100 about to turn one year old. No squawks, called tech support once just to have a question answered and they were helpful. The thing'll squeak a little bit if ya twist it, but I figure probably all notebooks squeak a little bit. Make sure you get the biggest display availabe, this 15.1 incher is great.

I used to work in the computer industry and have had quite a few lap tops, IBM think pad, Dell, and I have a Sony Vaio SR87, it is one of the smallest laptops around, my fiancée is a flight attendant and she takes it one her trips and loves the small size and low weight. I bought it at COMPUSA for $1,100.00 and that came with a dvd player, SDR Ram 128, and a Pentium III, either net card and wireless modem, not a bad deal.

I have a Compaq 1700...okay performance, cheap construction though. The case is already showing wear (screws falling out, etc.) Fairly inexpensive, however...

I'd stay away if I had to do it again.

Chunk

I've got a Sony GRX-570. ITs got a 16.1in screen. I absolutly love it. 16x CDRW/DVD combo, 1.6ghz, and 512mb RAM. Its my sole computer. Its kinda bulky, and the battery life is semi-short, but the HUGE screen rocks. I bought it at Circuit City. 12 months no interest on the laptop, and EVERYTHING i bought to go with it. Ive been very happy with it, and would highly reccomend it.

A lot of these laptops are all the same inside the name on the outside is just for the case What ever you buy get the extended warranty I have several computers and I've used it on every one. They are usually two-three years after the manufacture's Once part start to deteriorate they get replaced with updated nice new parts. Dell is the exception all their computers come a great warranty and customer support probably because they are so durable and do not need servicing. Also the DVD is great get it You'll thank yourself when that annoying kid is crying the whole flight and you only heard it at the begging and end of the movie.

I am very pleased with the Sony Vaio "super slim". It has a docking station which is included however I really don't need it for my trips and the computer itself is VERY "slim" and compact. I have had it for a little less than one year and have no complaints at all, I purchased it at Best Buy for around $1600 and they have a great service plan that pretty much covers everything for 3 years (including the battery) which is costly when it goes. At the end of the three years you are also able to extend the service plan if one chooses to do so. Dell and others "looked" good BUT I think Sony was a safe bet with a proven track record and really didn't feel like having to send a computer out to be serviced should something go wrong with it. A few friends have been without their lap top due to having to ship it out to service centers- ( no joy)- Best Buy and others who sell Sony will either fix it OR give you a brand new one right on the spot. I have nothing but praise for the service agreement that Best Buy & Sony are able to offer to the consumer.

Sony also has a very respectable and welcomed software package that is included not to mention the support and backing that you the customer will get from Sony.

I had been in the market from quite some time and when I saw the Sony it was very hard to beat in my opinion. IF you have a Sony digital camera or are into photography then you will most definately enjoy the software that is included and pre-loaded.
Sony has a pretty impressive line of laptops out on the market today and I would highly recommend them to anyone in the market.

C H E E R S

3 5 0 :D :D :D :D

Not listening

You guys didn't read his post. He said he wanted some simple.
I have a Dell Latitude LS400. No CD rom no Floppy......no nothing just a screen keyboard and modem...........weighs about as much as my cell phone and I take it every where and can do what I need to do on the road...........

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back