• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Landing with a gear problem.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lots of variables, and I can't remember specifially what the checklist called for in any of the airplanes I've flown, but I seem to remember as a rule of thumb, on a prepared surface or dry ground, land with anything and everything you have, on water, leave the gear up. I have watched a King Air land with the right main missing (I don't know the story, but it was not stuck, it was missing). They appeared to touch down relatively smoothly (it looked okay from about 3,000 feet away), and held the right side up as long as possible. when it came down, the plane dragged off the right side of the runway into a cloud of dust and came to a stop facing the other direction. I don't remember seeing any prop feathering or anything and I nenver heard anythin about the extent of the damages, but the plane certainly didn't tumble.

If you have any gear at all, I would think that using it would help. There is alot of shock and energy absorbtion there, and a hard touchdown on the belly alone will transmit alot of vertical energy right into your backside.

There are also a handful of planes out there that will contact the ground, wheels first even when it is in the up position... after it burns through the gear doors DC-3 maybe?

GravityHater said:
There are also a handful of planes out there that will contact the ground, wheels first even when it is in the up position... after it burns through the gear doors DC-3 maybe?
The long body MU-2s will roll on the wheels with the gear up. I even seem to remember that you would have braking. I would guess that King Airs would do the same. I'm sure that there are probably a few others.

'Sled

All this talk about trying to save the plane from damage concerns me. I feel that the pilot's job in an emergency is to protect the passengers and crew from damage and to hell with the plane. That's what insurance is for. People aren't replaceable, but planes are.

Don't ever put yourself in a position where you end up putting your life on the line because you want to keep your or your employer's plane from getting dinged. I've read too many accident reports where people died trying to stretch a glide to an airport while passing up perfectly good fields because they didn't want to damage the plane.

Everybody else?

pilotmiketx said:
I feel that the pilot's job in an emergency is to protect the passengers and crew from damage....

and the people on the ground!

pilotmiketx said:
and to hell with the plane.

Better.

Each and every one of you are correct. Basically what it boils down to is you, the pilot flying the airplane and what you are comfortable with given all the factors on that particular day (type of airplane, wx, skill level, advice from the ground.. etc). The PIC is the only one that can make a decision that they are most comfortable with during this scenario. The most comfortable decision for one pilot may be the complete opposite for another pilot under the same circumstance, yet both will be successful because they were comfortable with their decision. And of course always consult the checklist first to aid your decision as others have mentioned.

By the way, i believe the thread starter was focusing on a type of airplane bigger than a light single or twin. Notice his use of the word "tiller" to hold centerline.

SPBRIAN said:
I love these remarks, going to have to pull up a lawnchair and watch the fun you all will have with this. I seem to recall a few threads on this exact topic. My penny worth of knowledge, why create a bigger emergency by comitting yourself with absolutely no options, plus the ammount of time it takes to bump the props to horizontal could require pulling the mixtures at TPA. Silly Silly. Would you tell a brand new student with 50 hours to do this? My penny worth of thought on it.

-Brian
I got a buddy that did exactly this same heroic thing...didn't end up heroically, though.

This kool guy method is just like FEMA, looks good on paper...but doesn't really help you out much.

My buddy wound up in the landing lights because of the shut 'er down and calendar the props philosophy.

RJPilott said:
By the way, i believe the thread starter was focusing on a type of airplane bigger than a light single or twin. Notice his use of the word "tiller" to hold centerline.
It doesn't matter how many people you kill, they can only sentence you to life in prison so many times and unless you're a cat, only the first sentence matters anyway. As far as the civil suit goes, if you don't have none, they won't get none.

Latest resources

Back