Landing Lights on Airliners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GIA Big Iron said:
This is the first time I have ever posted on this internet message forum. I have been too busy flying the big iron to play on the internet. However now I am very senior and have a few more days off. Life is good when you are a certified Continental EMB-120 pilot.

Reserve is either really fun or really boring, isn't it?

GIA Big Iron said:
This is the first time I have ever posted on this internet message forum. I have been too busy flying the big iron to play on the internet. However now I am very senior and have a few more days off. Life is good when you are a certified Continental EMB-120 pilot.

Bullsh!t. Plus, you are fooing no one and your game is WAY stale.

At least come up with some new schtick.

GIA Big Iron said:
I am a certified EMB-120 FO.

Are you really a CERTIFIED EMB-120 FO??? You DORK!!!!! I agree with Yank, get a new game. This one's old!!
PS- Really no need to keep saying your "certified" as an FO, nobody's impressed.

BTW-When did GIA get E120's??

Flying Illini said:
The 737's and MD series that have the landing lights near the wingtips...they extend and retract backwards into the wing. It is either tied to the gear handle or the lding light switch (someone chime in if I screw this up).

Flying I,

Yes, you're pretty close. On the MD80, the retraction/extinguishing of the wing landing lights is only tied to the gear handle in the event of an engine failure, i.e. lost an engine on takeoff/GA, when the gear is retracted the landing lights retract/extinguish. DC9 didn't have this feature.

Under normal circumstances, they're operated by the switches in the cockpit for ext/ret. No speed limits for them but they cause a good bit of vibration above 250kts. On the -9, you could retract then partially and keep them illuminated, alleviating a good bit of the vibration. The MD80 arrangement of the switches didn't allow this luxury.

As others have said, you want to use all the lighting you can below 10,000 to improve your visibility to other airplanes...day or night.

Last edited:
737-800 taxi and turnout light on-positon and hold- Takeoff all lights on. at 3000 AGL retractable and taxi light off. 10000 feet all lights off. On approach 18000 feet turnout lights on, 10000 feet landing lights on 3000 feet all landing lights on.

King Air Country-turnout lights

Navajo Country-landing lights

Cessna Country-all lights

A1FlyBoy said:
I bet you are the guy who taxis to and from the gate with the wingtip STROBES on!

Nah...the Captain doesn't let him fark with ANYTHING...including the light switches.

GIA Big Iron said:

And Continental Ownes those EMB-120???? I think not! stop playing on flight sim and thinking ur B@D @55

Latest resources

Back