Landing Lights on Airliners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

I am a big plane watcher and have noticed different landing light configurations on different aircraft. Some of the older MD-80's and Boeings have their landing lights extended near the wing tips, while it seems the newer aircraft have them on the wing but much closer to the fuselage. What is the difference and why do they position them there now? Also why does it seem the older airliners appear to have more landing lights like the MD-80's have behind the wing?

One more thing, I also have seen the newer plans have lights that appear to shine out to the leading edges of the wings... What is the point of that?

Thanks,
AJ

The lights shining on the wings could be for either ice detection or emergency lights for the passengers to see as they come out on the wing.

I'm not a big plane flyer but I've seen a lot of what you speak of.

The lights that shine along the wing leading edges are ice lights. Turn them on at night to check leading edges for ice. Can also help other aircraft identify you (which is why they're on for T/O and Ldg...in the terminal area or below 10,000')

The 737's and MD series that have the landing lights near the wingtips...they extend and retract backwards into the wing. It is either tied to the gear handle or the lding light switch (someone chime in if I screw this up). I believe they went away from this b/c it's just one more complexity that doesn't need to be there. Now the lights are just embedded in the leading edge and there is no more raising and lowering of the lights.

Flying Illini said:
The 737's and MD series that have the landing lights near the wingtips...they extend and retract backwards into the wing. It is either tied to the gear handle or the lding light switch (someone chime in if I screw this up). I believe they went away from this b/c it's just one more complexity that doesn't need to be there. Now the lights are just embedded in the leading edge and there is no more raising and lowering of the lights.
The B737 have Landing and Turnoff lights in the wing next to the fuselage. The older 737's have Retractable Landing Lights that are mounted in the aft part of the Flap Track Fairing (Canoe) in the middle of the wing. The Next Generation B737's have Retractable lights mount on the bottom of the fuselage in the center. Both retractable lights are controlled by the pilot. It is a 3-position switch. Retract, Extend and On.

I always like that the old 737's landing light had all the monkey motion with the flap movement.

I think that one was a little over engineered.

Last edited:
PhatAJ2008 said:
I am a big plane watcher and have noticed different landing light configurations on different aircraft...
...One more thing, I also have seen the newer plans have lights that appear to shine out to the leading edges of the wings... What is the point of that?
Mainly that is to compensate for the oxyphidralious effect. OPD costs airlines many millions of dollars every year in operating revenues, so they try to put the lights closer together to reduce the effect.

FN FAL said:
Mainly that is to compensate for the oxyphidralious effect. OPD costs airlines many millions of dollars every year in operating revenues, so they try to put the lights closer together to reduce the effect.

No entry found for oxyphidralious.

FN FAL, you're going to have to explain that joke, I looked it up but I don't get it. Maybe I'm just dense.

GIA Big Iron said:
I am a certified EMB-120 FO. We have many lights on our aircrafts. It is to help with vision when landing in dark conditions. Like night.

ROFL!

Oh no, here he comes again!

GIA Big Iron said:

He is remarking that you are back with another of your many reincarnates. I guess now you are "GIA Big Iron". At least you are consistent, if nothing else. And that's about the gist of it all..."nothing else".:rolleyes:

The lights you refer to behind the wings on the 737s and MD-80s are position lights. The white position light isn't on the tail, it's on the back of the wing tip. Our XRs have it, too.

Latest resources

Back