• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
I hate to have to ask this at over 30 hours, but here it is:

If the tower says to you, "Cessna123 you're number 2 to land behind the Cherokee"...Is this a clearnce to land?

I had this happen to me today, and I would've asked my instructor had he been there.

I do NOT consider it a clearance until I hear "Cleared to Land". If I have not heard that by 500 feet or so I'm asking for it.

Guys, thanks. I figured the smartest option would be to simply verify "cleared to land", but was just wondering about this.

I'm sure we will here from the likes of HoldWest :laugh: , but IMO this is just a courtesy call (heads up) that is advising you of your sequence, definitely NOT a clearance to land.

I agree with the group...you do not have a landing clearance. Here`s another "gotcha"...."XYZ Tower, Cessna 123, landing instructions"..."Roger Cessna 123, continue"....I got dinged on that one about 40 years ago...still pissed...

UA-RESURRECTED said:
Guys, thanks. I figured the smartest option would be to simply verify "cleared to land", but was just wondering about this.

Absolutely! If you're ever unsure about something, just ask the tower. Even if it means asking numerous times to clarify odd instructions. Some grumps might get pissy, but it's much better than screwing something up and getting in trouble, or worse...

UA-RESURRECTED said:
I hate to have to ask this at over 30 hours, but here it is:

If the tower says to you, "Cessna123 you're number 2 to land behind the Cherokee"...Is this a clearnce to land?

I had this happen to me today, and I would've asked my instructor had he been there.

No, it's just an advisory on the traffic you're to follow. You must hear the words, "cleared to land".

Think of when you are talking to an approach controller. An approach controller may say "follow the Cessna to Runway 2", or some similar statement, but that doesn't constitute a landing clearance, just a sequence instruction. The local controller will issue the landing clearance (the local controller is the official name within the FAA of the guy you refer to as "tower" on the radio, he's the one responsible for separation on the runways, and the one who issues takeoff and landing clearances).

Never worry about how many hours you have, just keep asking questions!

Latest resources

Back