• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lamest PA phrases

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>>>One of my PA pet-peeves is pilots who insist on talking to passengers about APU's, minimums, ILS's, clearance delivery, "holding at CAPTI," etc, etc. Remember, you're talking to people who think an "aileron" is some kind of French yogurt<<<

Our manuals warn of using "technical phrases" and "jargon" in announcements... As I'm sure everyone else's manuals do. In our case, the example given is the hopelessly flyboy-sounding "broken clouds". :rolleyes:

Then again, we are also warned not to use humor in cabin announcements, as the jokes usually fall flat.

I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :D

CatYaaak said:
....while calling the cockpit a "flight deck" reeks of psuedo-self-importance.

Let me guess your PA consists of- "From the cockpit this is YOUR CAPTAIN CatYaak and on behalf of MY first officer Short Straw and I....blah blah blah...the flight attentdants are here primarly for your safety...blah blah blah".
Saying flightdeck=self importance, I think you got it backwards. Including titles and names on PA's is where the self-importance lies.

While we are on the subject, if you are going to make a PA enroute, please include the time remaining, thats all we care about!!!!

Last edited:
SuperFLUF said:
If the company that pays your paycheck (and the airplane flight manual) wants you to call it the "flight deck" then you call it the flight deck.
The psuedo-self importance comes from the pilot who thinks that their way is right and everyone who doesn't do it their way is wrong.

are you sure you weren't in the military?

Anybody at Express Jet Airlines might be able to answer this question...
Do you all still use Captain David Barts' "Guide to effective cabin announcements?"

'Welcome aboard flight ###, ALL METAL, Jet Service from Atlanta to Orlando'. I crack up at the ol grey hair making the anouncement in a serious and calming voice. LOL

mullet said:
Let me guess your PA consists of- "From the cockpit this is YOUR CAPTAIN CatYaak and on behalf of MY first officer Short Straw and I....blah blah blah...the flight attentdants are here primarly for your safety...blah blah blah".
Saying flightdeck=self importance, I think you got it backwards. Including titles and names on PA's is where the self-importance lies.

Nice try, but never did this one either. It sounds pompous too. Question, where did you come up with the strange notion that including titles or classifying any fellow pilot as "my" is somehow the alternative to saying "flight deck"?

CatYaaak said:
Nice try, but never did this one either. It sounds pompous too. Question, where did you come up with the strange notion that including titles or classifying any fellow pilot as "my" is somehow the alternative to saying "flight deck"?

OK then, Mr high-and-mighty. Why don't you grace us with your version of a "proper" PA so that we may all aspire to some day be like you and win an oscar for our original PA performance?

TWA Dude said:
I'm aware of that. Forgive me for reliving the past but at TWA it was an FA announcement. When AA procedures were instituted it became an FO announcement made during the critical time of pulling into the gate. Dumb.

Dude

Wow, that is a really strange thing having the FO do the announcement. You all have too much stuff to do up there to be doing that announcement. Amazing....

Perhaps flight deck in lieu of cockpit is a marketing moniker.

If an aircraft has a cockpit, it sounds old, rickety, and cramped. Not modern, up to date, and equipped with the latest gagets for safety and ease.

Since there are focus groups for almost every product and idea nowadays, it just may be that the public has a positive reaction to "flight deck," perhaps precisely for the aforementioned reason that it reminds them of the "deck" of the NCC 1701-x, a la Captains Kirk/Picard.

Customers are the reason the plane is there, the pilots are there, and the jobs are there.

Maybe it makes sense to use words the customers prefer to hear?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back