• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

L-3 Flight International?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's mostly for flying EW platforms over in Iraq and Afghanistan, if your into that type of job.

I'm trying to get on with them and a few others but I've done this type of work before and I have a SpecOps background. They are really looking for a very narrow range of pilot. There are a lot of things that have to be the right fit for them on your resume, and your situation. Usually, they have people already selected for the jobs, but because it's a DoD contract, they are required to post it.

100 day rotations downrange flying nights, with 60-70 days Stateside, doing light duty supervised A/C maint.

You fly circuits over Hot zones and look for bad guys and hope they don't have any surface-air capability.
If you have an Emergency or have to land, you could be on your own for a while until they can come get you. If your a nervous type you won't make it past one rotation, so the vetting process is fairly complete. It's really got to be your thing and you have to have the background to prove it. Pay is just OK...it's a livin'.

You fly circuits over Hot zones and look for bad guys and hope they don't have any surface-air capability.
If you have an Emergency or have to land, you could be on your own for a while until they can come get you. If your a nervous type you won't make it past one rotation, so the vetting process is fairly complete. It's really got to be your thing and you have to have the background to prove it. Pay is just OK...it's a livin'.
Sounds like fun.

Afgani-
Terrain: High and lots of it (mostly rocks)
Alt airstrips:NIL
Guys who don't like you: endless
Flying for 8hrs with Dysentary: Hell

Something to tell your Grandkids: Priceless!

It's mostly for flying EW platforms over in Iraq and Afghanistan, if your into that type of job.

I'm trying to get on with them and a few others but I've done this type of work before and I have a SpecOps background. They are really looking for a very narrow range of pilot. There are a lot of things that have to be the right fit for them on your resume, and your situation. Usually, they have people already selected for the jobs, but because it's a DoD contract, they are required to post it.

100 day rotations downrange flying nights, with 60-70 days Stateside, doing light duty supervised A/C maint.

How does it work ? A civilian flying around in a war zone.... are you provided with a side arm?
Does it include some field training aside from just flying?

I'm beginning to like it..... !!

Depends on the contract. Where, when, what and who.
Me, I've got a SpecOps background- SEALs (don't get excited, it was 20 years ago and we had no budget, no equipment- I carried an M-14 Vietnam era Automatic and you couldn't hit sh!t with it, but I could swim and run like a SOB!)
I have been over there a few times already and have contacts and it's still hard getting picked up. I've had a few phone interviews, but still waiting.
As far as training, it's like anything else. If it's part of the OPS Spec and Contract with the DoD, then you get training.
Make no mistake, it is hard ass work 14-16hr days for 3 months strait. You get time off when you get back and your body is a wreck. You will sleep for days, and be sick for weeks after and loose 10-15 lbs. Just when your starting to feel better and you wife is talking to you again...time to rotate.
If you got the background, go for it. If not, don't hold your breath. And your background has to be squeeky clean. No arrests, DUI, Drug use convictions, nothing! They will check all of that before they even do the phone interview.

One other thing, yes they give you a sidearm, sometimes. But usually you turn it in after the op. It's heavy and uncomfortable and just one more thing to deal with. Nobody cares, because everyone has one and most are bigger than yours.

...kudos for all the downsides, but they aint all that bad or require near that kind of background.

however, most get stars in their eyes when they see the 18,000 a month paycheck and tend to gloss over all the possibilities :D

Latest resources

Back