Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
Is it just me or is KSAT ATC going downhill?

The other day we were cleared for the ILS, I am tracking the GS downstairs, and the female approach controller tells me "maintain XXXX till FAF"

I was like, uh, WTF. Then she tells Continental behind us to "track the localizer and glideslope inbound"

they were like "uh maam, so we are cleared for the approach then?"

Can you be sure the clearance was 'Cleared ILS 12', because both sat and aus are apparently giving 'track the localizer' a lot lately, and NOT saying 'maintain 3000' or anything like that (holding altitude is implied).
I think its because they have a/c on approach ahead of you (watch your tcas) and need the altitude separation when you are that close together.
Honestly I think they are doing a good job with the loads of traffic they have sometimes, couple of weeks ago at aus there were 8 of us jostling for the congo line and they got great spacing and it all worked out great with no delays.
Cant answer the second point about Co, that sounds like a beginner.

Can you be sure the clearance was 'Cleared ILS 12', because both sat and aus are apparently giving 'track the localizer' a lot lately, and NOT saying 'maintain 3000' or anything like that (holding altitude is implied).
I think its because they have a/c on approach ahead of you (watch your tcas) and need the altitude separation when you are that close together.
Honestly I think they are doing a good job with the loads of traffic they have sometimes, couple of weeks ago at aus there were 8 of us jostling for the congo line and they got great spacing and it all worked out great with no delays.
Cant answer the second point about Co, that sounds like a beginner.

It was cleared ILS RWY 3. We pick up the GS then female approach controller tells us to "maintain 3500" till REDOC.

Almost like Mexico, where I got cleared for the visual then was told to maintain best forward speed to the marker

WTF

:rolleyes:

by the way, KSAT is not KSAT of yester-year. It is extremely busy, and is basically a one-runway airport 90% of the time, even tho three pieces of pavement shaped like runways exist. For corporate planes and bigger, it is basically a one-runway airport.

Last edited:
I flew cargo there every night for a year in 1999 and it was below average then and I still dread going in there now in the G2.
I was told the other day that SAT is a Training facility.

There is no such thing as a training facility....

"...couple of weeks ago at aus there were 8 of us jostling for the congo line..."

Haven't heard the term "congo line" since I read "Airport" in the 70's! It referred to the line of snow plows clearing the runways. Since you were in AUS I assume you're referring to something else; the line for T/O?

I know lots of guys that still call it the Conga line.

Latest resources

Back