Kodak

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

empenage

I just heard that Kodak let a 604 go this past week.

One guy that got laid off had 29 years of service with Kodak.

29 years.....Holy Pete.

You and I have communicated quite a bit about them... Sorry to hear about the news. With their market changing and trying to adapt I was afraid the department might be "taking one for the team."

How's things in NYC ??? Send me a PM with some scoop... JG

empenage said:
I just heard that Kodak let a 604 go this past week.

One guy that got laid off had 29 years of service with Kodak.

29 years.....Holy Pete.

That's frightening. All the more reason to always plan an "exit" strategy, financially speaking that is. At this point, I would never count on any company to provide for me until retirement, regardless of size or stature within the industry. CYA.

It's just a harsh reality in this business. Unfortunatly, I have seen it way too many times.

I can remember banging on the door of Mobil oil out of HPN, saying to myself, "if can only get a job with them I will be set for life". Mobil wound up moving their flt dept to IAD, then wound up closing the doors and moving to Houston when Exxon purchased them. While I am sure that some folks got jobs. It in no way reflects the huge department it once was. Two moves in under 10 years only hoping to still have a job, no thanks. Their hanger was taken over by Texaco, who closed up shop soon after they were purchased by Chevron.

It happens everywhere. I tried getting on with Seagrams, Galaxo, Warner lambert, MCI, ATT, Union Carbide, International Paper, Ingersol Rand, Xerox, I know their are more but I just can't remember all the names. These were all large multi heavy corporate jet operators.

Each time I would say to myself, if I get in here I am set for life.

Question is, are you better off working for a wealthy family or large corporation? Wealthy families tend to stay that way but QQL is typically lower, while QQL is better at most corporations but you could be gone at the drop of a hat.

G100driver said:
Question is, are you better off working for a wealthy family or large corporation? Wealthy families tend to stay that way but QQL is typically lower, while QQL is better at most corporations but you could be gone at the drop of a hat.
I don't think you can really say. For every successful large corporate department there's tons that dissolved through bankruptcy or mergers. On the other hand for every quality "family type" job there's tons that are horrible (if not downright unsafe) to work for.

A good job's simply a good job.

G100driver said:

This is a really good point. I have worked for large companies and 1 very wealthy family. I left the wealthy family to go to a large company with better benifits. My thought was that if I made it to retirement I would get good benifits like healthcare, etc.

Today, I dont think you have a very good chance of making it to retirement. Thats why I rebuild houses. It's my safty net. Having 2 jobs is exausting but I'm not much of a gambler.

empenage said:
Thats why I rebuild houses. It's my safty net. Having 2 jobs is exausting but I'm not much of a gambler.
Real estate, Huh? Not worried about the "bubble"? Just kidding, that's paralleling exactly what I'm doing. Though I use my completely legal "insider knowledge" to its full advantage.

Latest resources

Back