• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kit Darbys AirInc goes TU!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
He took the side of management in the Netjets contract fight. If I remember correctly he was the expert witness on the company side against the pilots.

What an azz clown.

Yup that is the man I remember. He lost what little credibility he had in that one day.
Funny, in one move 1900 pilots wanted him tared and feathered (trying to be civil).
He won't be missed.

Kit gave me some solid advice that kept me employed a while back when I had some hard choices to make. Other than that, I never liked the way he sold the young and uninformed and they sunk a LOT of money into his products.

What ESPECIALLY P*SSES ME OFF about the timing on this is that he JUST made a LOT of money off new subscriptions. All the ALPA and NPA pilots who were furloughed in the last year had ALPA and the NPA pay for subscriptions to Kit Darby.

That's HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DUES MONEY that could have been spent on other things, now flushed down the toilet.

I'm wondering where that money went... (no, I probably already know where it went, and I'm not surprised, just disappointed).

Sorry to those who are left holding the bag after spending their own personal money on his products. :(

The flight school business is in the toilet. University flight programs and major flight schools are closing. The military is trying to keep all their pilots from leaving and with the low wages currently being paid in industry, who would leave a military flying job.

When the economy recovers and age-65 kicks-in, there has to be lots of jobs for those who stay in the game. Trust me, the pilot shortage is really coming. It's about 5-years away and will last about 5-years n the cycle.

My advice: Be ready if you want live the dream. The only problem: You may need to live through a nightmare.

Last edited:
The flight school business is in the toilet. University flight programs and major flight schools are closing.
Good riddance.

When the economy recovers and age-65 kicks-in, there has to be lots of jobs for those who stay in the game. Trust me, the pilot shortage is really coming. It's about 5-years away and will last about 5-years n the cycle.

My advice: Be ready if you want live the dream. The only problem: You may need to live through a nightmare.
My advice: Stay away from commercial aviation as a career. Now or the immediate future (less than 10 years).

There's a lot more to the formula than just pure retirements and economy. Most of us are betting that at least one major carrier won't make it through this downturn, and there's CURRENTLY over 4,000 pilots on the street without a job (ALPA data).

5 years of downturn then another 2-3 year upturn should put most of the out-of-work pilots back to work, just in time for the bottom 10% to get furloughed in the next downturn. Historically-speaking, the downturns are lasting a lot longer than the upturns every cycle, and I don't see any reason for that to improve.

MAYBE, in about 12-15 years, we'll see a big need for new pilots... For now, I would counsel anyone still in school or under age 30 to go into the medical field, computer field (especially video conferencing tech), or accounting or legal fields (which shows no sign of slowing).

Doing this for a career is ONLY for those who really love this as a *passion*, rather than just want a good career doing something fun. Is it PilotYIP that has that signature line on here: "Fly for a living because you love it. If you do it for the money or respect, you're going to be sorely disappointed" (or something like that).

5 years of downturn then another 2-3 year upturn should put most of the out-of-work pilots back to work, just in time for the bottom 10% to get furloughed in the next downturn.

Of course, remember that many of the group will find something else because they will not be able to weather the storm.

Of course, remember that many of the group will find something else because they will not be able to weather the storm.
and remember every pilot job at the top creates 5 pilot jobs in the chain. Much like 1993, all the major had 10K resumes, but they were all the same 10K pilots, As soon as 10K were hired, there a shortage.

I would never recommend a flying job as a career to any future generation.

Maybe I would have in the go-go 90's, but not now. I would recommend flying for fun and pleasure, as my love for airplanes still exists.

I think the "jobs of tomorrow" will be

medical field (MD, RN, technology related)
legal (attorney, paralegal, etc)
tax/accounting
computer related, especially computer security
fraud prevention
entrepreneurship

We used to be respected. Now we're laughed at. Who in their right mind would accept a pension termination and 40 percent pay-cut? Any respectable professional would shut his/her company down or just stop working. We are a joke.

I would never recommend a flying job as a career to any future generation.

Maybe I would have in the go-go 90's, but not now. I would recommend flying for fun and pleasure, as my love for airplanes still exists.

Who then, should fly our jets?

I think the "jobs of tomorrow" will be

medical field (MD, RN, technology related)
legal (attorney, paralegal, etc)
tax/accounting
computer related, especially computer security
fraud prevention
entrepreneurship

IT is the only one....

all the others are too competitive or are having their own moments as we are in aviation....

What happens when any of the above jobs you list, suddenly goes thru a radical transformation for the worst?

Do then find the next up and coming career and switch? How often do we play musical careers?

I am willing to work to defend, promote and protect the air line pilot profession....

Latest resources

Back