• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Kit Darbys AirInc goes TU!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did not know the gentleman personally, but he offered a service and I was a repeat customer. No one "cheated" anyone. I feel that I could have gotten the jobs without Air Inc., but good jobs come along so rarely in aviation, does anyone want to risk being unprepared?

An interview is like a check ride, the more you practice the better the result.

Heyas Fins,

Agreed. I had newsletters from FAPA and later on Air, Inc. In the pre-web days, it was a reasonable source of information. I had a mailing list made up from their address lists and I would shotgun out resumes every month or so, and wound up at one place because of it.

I didn't know the guy personally. I spoke with him on the phone once, and seemed ok.

This is simply a case of "video killed the radio star".

Nu

Well it was near the end when he pi$$ed off DAL in 07. They black listed him. That is why they went to other job fairs.

I have to call "B.S." on that one, dude..... I know a lot of people who went to his jobs fairs and were hired at DAL-even after '07. Maybe DAL didn't like the guy (a lot of people didn't, obviously-but they still hired folks from his fairs and interview training.)

I personally disliked Kitster a lot-he was a scumbag, and the industry will be much better off without him and his endless "pilot shortage" predictions.

I hope that the "tax problems" he alluded to are related to him cheating on taxes..... I am not saying that is the case, but one could always hope-he could get his butt in trouble real nice that way.

I hope that the "tax problems" he alluded to are related to him cheating on taxes..... I am not saying that is the case, but one could always hope-he could get his butt in trouble real nice that way.

If he cheated on his taxes shouldn't he get a cabinet position? Guess we know who is going to run the FAA! :laugh:

I had the good fortune to attend one of Kit's seminars for free back when I was in college (late 80's - several of us worked the registration table in exchange for free admission). I came away from it with a few very clear impressions:

1) Kit's main job was promoting Kit.
2) If you were ex-military and clueless about the civilian world, attending one of his seminars would put you in touch with several HR people.
3) If you weren't, don't waste your time and money.
4) Kit's primary business was promoting Kit.
5) I was thankful all I wasted was a weekend, instead of cash.
6) Most of the presentations explained how you needed one of Kit's products to prepare you for _____ (fill in the blank, interview, sim check, writing a cookie cutter resume which would look like every other resume sent in by one of Kit's disciples.
7) Kit was there to promote Kit.

Do you see a theme evolving here?

Like someone else said, if he can take a few of the pilot mills down with him, then good riddance.

I did attend a free seminar put on by Kit after my last airline tanked. I'll concede Kit does give a good pep-talk, but there wasn't much substance behind it.

Kit believed and promoted the MPL program....so does Jim Rice (VP ALPA). I spoke to both of them and they admitted it to me. Every pilot should be afraid if that passes.

I used to work at FAPA in the early 90's and I might have even sold some of ya'll the memberships back then. FAPA was a good company to work at for a struggling CFI looking to supplement his income with a good paying part-time job. The owners of FAPA and Air Inc. used to be partners but split due to the different directions they wanted to take FAPA.

Kit started Air Inc. out of his home and put most of the information into a photo copied 3 ring binder that was mailed out. Nothing fancy. FAPA, on the other hand, continued to provide expensive, glossy publications, had a large staff and nice offices in Atlanta.

In the early 90's with many majors furloughing, FAPA had an unsustainable business model with high overhead costs. The Information Age had arrived and it became nearly impossible to compete with the free flow of airline employment gouge on the Internet.

Clearly, Kit did not learn from FAPA's mistakes. It purchased many of FAPA's assets and ideas (glossy magazines, pubs, hotlines, office facilities, etc.) instead of sticking to low the low cost model that that made Air Inc a modest success.

FAPA's owner told me years later that the Internet was like "piranha constantly nibbling at your boat and if you were to survive, you needed to keep building a stronger boat". I suppose Kit started construction of the boat too late.

Can most of the information that Air Inc provides be obtained from other sources? Of course it can, but not without considerable time and effort. Its the collection of that information in a one-stop-shop that you paid for. You do the same thing if you subscribe to Aviation Daily. Air Inc's $135/yr was a bargain by that measure in my humble opinion.

Amazing how many people Browntothebone manages to catch, everytime he goes trollin' with some bait and a hook.

When I was working on my undergrad degree, I called Air Inc. to ask for some hiring numbers for a report I was doing. The response was something like, "why should I give you that for FREE". Needless to say it left a bad taste and I never again called or even considered giving him business. Maybe it's a case of sour grapes. But now, after reading this thread, I suspect the numbers I was looking for would have been less than accurate.

Latest resources

Back