• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

King air 90 vs 200

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Avoid the King Air 100 and A100 like the plague... Basically a King Air 200 body on a short wing with little engines (680 SHP)... can you say "DOG"!?!?!?!

Ok...so let me ask a dumb question as a new 340 driver.

First off....I've always loved and admired the King Airs and Beech products in general. After all, I flew a Bonanza for 18 years, and grew up in another all through my childhood.

But for all but the 300/350's, the twin Cessnas 340, 414, 421 (with RAMs) will provide the same speeds, fly at the same altitudes, maybe not have the same payloads/range, but do all of the rest at a fraction of the cost, and most usually doesn't require hired guns to fly them to get insured.

I'm still learning (70 hours TT in the 340) and tweaking with performance, but I'm getting 1500+fpm (depending on weight) climb, cruise in the low 20's and getting 215-220 knots, all on 40 gal./hr block (approx).

As a guy who won't own an airplane he can't fly by himself, has a small family, and never fills the seats...is this as good as it gets w/o spending lots more money for not much more, performance wise?

BE-200

max service ceiling: FL350
280 KTS.

I always file between 220 en 290

JimG said:
getting 215-220 knots, all on 40 gal./hr block (approx).

Just curious...anything special about your 340 that gives you speeds like that? I have a '79 and can't get more than about 170 kts and at any level (and all on 40 GPH)! That is one hell of a difference. Please let me know!

Last edited:
dhc8fo said:
Just curious...anything special about your 340 that gives you speeds like that? I have a '79 and can't get more than about 170 kts and at any level (and all on 40 GPH)! That is one hell of a difference. Please let me know!

You're kidding?

Mine is a '78 with brand new RAM VI's and I honestly get that 215-220kts at FL200+ (35" MP) according to my G430.

I've wondered if mine is on the fast side (every plane is unique), but that's a huge difference.

I haven't flown it often at a slow speed, but there were flights last winter after the engines were broken in, where I throttled back to save fuel as I was just building time for insurance purposes, but if memory serves me right, I was pulled back to 24"/2200rpm and getting 170+ knots or so....down low (12,000).

minitour said:
Jim:
True or Ground?

-mini

True.

RAM claims 228 ktas, but that's a # their sales department came up with, I haven't seen that, regardless of weights. Everything else in their #'s are pretty accurate. I've followed their recommendations real close for obvious reasons.

DAS at 10/250 said:
Or you could fly the other step-child King Air with 715/side. We get 250 ktas on 250 gal/side at 210.
Doh! That's not gonna work. ;) Too many numbers. SHP, ktas, pounds, feet, who can keep up with them all?

Falcon Capt said:
Avoid the King Air 100 and A100 like the plague... Basically a King Air 200 body on a short wing with little engines (680 SHP)... can you say "DOG"!?!?!?!

As a pilot who spends about 350 hours a year in an A100 I can second very strongly Falcon Capts comments. A B200 is more efficient anyway.

Latest resources

Back