King Air 90 Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
daysleeper2621 said:
How much training / time would it take for a commercial pilot with instrument and multi. ratings to get checked out in a King Air 90 at some place like Flight Safety? What if the pilot only had 400 hours (20 multi.)?
The first place to start would be with the insurance company. With 400 TT and 20 ME insurance will likely be an issue. Remember, it's not really the FAA or the various training centers who get to say who can fly what, it's the insurance company.

'Sled

Pilot_Ryan said:
The 90 is such a simple airplane that I would think SimCom to be the better choice. I think their initial is 4 days (?) and the guys I know who've done it, say it's about 3 days too long.
How much 90 time do you have? Where did you go to school?

I'd like to meet the guys you know and learn their secret. I went to SimCom with ~1300/500 and needed every single day of the course. After I got some time in the plane, I became a King Air instructor for a company in SoCal. Most of my students were businessmen who'd been to SimCom or FSI but knew they weren't ready to fly single pilot. The insurance companies mandated 50-100hrs with an instructor anyway.

The BE90 is an easy to fly, very well designed A/C. It will also kill you in a hurry. AvBug's right on this one.

Daysleeper- With 400/20 insurance will be the biggest hurdle.

Last edited:
Lead Sled said:
The first place to start would be with the insurance company. With 400 TT and 20 ME insurance will likely be an issue. Remember, it's not really the FAA or the various training centers who get to say who can fly what, it's the insurance company.

'Sled

I was thinking the exact same thing! It's the insurance cost of a low time pilot in a ME turbine that would probably be the more important question to ask (among others).

Ralph
www.wxnotice.com

quick question. What happens if you're flying an airplane that you are not covered by insurance in, you're involved in an accident of some sort, does anything happen to the pilot regarding his certificate? Or does the insurance just not pay for the damage since they did not cover the pilot who was involved in the accident?

daysleeper2621 said:
quick question. What happens if you're flying an airplane that you are not covered by insurance in, you're involved in an accident of some sort, does anything happen to the pilot regarding his certificate? Or does the insurance just not pay for the damage since they did not cover the pilot who was involved in the accident?

Pt 91? Shouldn't be any certificate problem. I believe 135 requires insurance....been a whlie though.

-mini

daysleeper2621 said:
quick question. What happens if you're flying an airplane that you are not covered by insurance in, you're involved in an accident of some sort, does anything happen to the pilot regarding his certificate?
Why are you asking this question? It sounds like you're setting yourself (more likely, your surviving family members) up for a lot of heartache.

Let's see...
400hr pilot flying a BE90 he's not insured in + "an accident of some sort"?

:eek:

Guys,
I never said I was going to actually be flying a King Air. I was just asking these questions because I know you can fly King Air's (90 and 200 series) without any type rating and I was just wondering since the FAA doesn't require pilots to pass any checkride or anything to fly these airplanes then what is required, especially for low time pilots like myself. Flying a King Air would definitely be a bad a$$ way to gain multi time let alone experience in high altitude/high speed flying. Just a curious young pilot, that's all. Thanks for everyone's input.

The fastest way to getting yourself killed is to follow the FARs. The FAA will let you do LOTS of stuff that just shouldn't be done. King Air is not cheap, and I wouldn't suggest going to school to build time. Not worth while.

Buy a C90-A for yourself ............... $1.2 million
got to simuflite and take the initial... $8,000
Self insure that baby.. $10 million
Fly when you want to and go where you want to: PRICLESS

daysleeper2621 said:
Guys,
I never said I was going to actually be flying a King Air. I was just asking these questions because I know you can fly King Air's (90 and 200 series) without any type rating and I was just wondering since the FAA doesn't require pilots to pass any checkride or anything to fly these airplanes then what is required, especially for low time pilots like myself. Flying a King Air would definitely be a bad a$$ way to gain multi time let alone experience in high altitude/high speed flying. Just a curious young pilot, that's all. Thanks for everyone's input.

Yeah, the answer to your question is...you don't need no stinkin' check-out. If you got a kingair an a multi engine rating...go for it.
If you've had 3 landings in the last 90 days in any multi engine, you're good to go..with pax.

Latest resources

Back