Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Oregonbythesea

Never too old to learn
I am really new to this board and very happy to have found it. Although I haven't flown for almost 10 years, my financial picture is changing in a way that will allow me to pick up where I left off. My last plane was a Barron 55 and although it is a great plane, I want something that will fly higher and faster with more range. My concern is that I keep getting conflictling comments regarding a choice between flying a King Air 90 and a Lear 24. I would really like to see some comments to help me decide. Thanks

If your profile is correct,then I would go with the King Air. A good flying machine and relatively docile. The Lear 20 series are great airplanes, lots of fun but a hotrod, although not as bad as some say.

The King Air should be cheaper to operate, fuel burn certainly a lot lower as would overhaul cost be.

I agree, esp w/ Raytheon selling the c90GT w/ glass cockpit and 750SHP engines. Gives you the choice of speed or econo. BTW they don't call the 20 series Lear the widow maker for nothin'

Thanks Dizel8. The cost factor can be eliminated. Would that change your mind? I realize that the King Air would be easier but, is the 24 really too much for a single pilot? 787, that is the part that bothers me also.

Oregonbythesea said:
Thanks Dizel8. The cost factor can be eliminated. Would that change your mind? I realize that the King Air would be easier but, is the 24 really too much for a single pilot? 787, that is the part that bothers me also.
You can't fly any Lear's single pilot... Does that help with your decision?

As Falcon says, Lears are two pilot airplanes. If you really want a jet (why?) then perhaps a CitationJet or the old 500 SPs would work. Heck, the C-441 Conquest with Dash 10 engine gets moving pretty fast, I think 340KTS.

You're all correct and thanks for the input. I was not aware that the 24 wouldn't qualify for single pilot. Yes, it does make it easier. The King Air goes back on the computer as the screen saver. Besides, it will be easier to transition into the King Air than a jet anyway. One thing at a time. The VLJ is a good solution except for the price tag and waiting list. Maybe in a year or two that would work. Thanks all.

One of our owners is now on the list for a VLJ, despite my boss showing that the numbers favored a late-model, low-time C500. Two-plus years till delivery, and growing weekly.

Of course ... that left seat might have MY name all over it, so I'm cool wid dat. :pimp:

Minh

I think before you get too deep into performance, cost, etc., or before you start kicking tires, I'd suggest you make a phone call to an insurance agent.

With 1200 hours, you may have trouble getting insured on a KingAir without someone in the right seat for the next year or two until you build a couple hundred hours in it.

I had the same number of hours as you do now when I transitioned up from a Bonanza into a C340 last year. The first year's premium cost an arm and a leg AND required a right seater to spend the first 50 hours with me.

Latest resources

Back