Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DC4boy

addicted user
My truck was stolen with my only set of airplane keys in it. What do I do? Take the ignition colomn out, or can a locksmith make a key?

Thanks

If the door and the ignition are keyed alike, it may be easier to use the door lock to have a new key made.

If they are different, and you want them keyed alike, this may be the opportunity to have them the same.

Not sure if you meant the aircraft keys were missing, or the truck keys. Sorry to hear about the truck.

Replacing the ignition is easy, but getting one rekeyed is possible, too. I always keep a couple of big keyrings in my box that havea couple hundred keys between them....everything from airplane keys to automotive keys to padlock keys. It's rare that one of them won't open an aircraft or fire one up. Aircrat locks are notoiously poor, and that includs the ignition keys. My suzuki samurai key, for example, will open half of what's out there.

When taking the ignition to a locksmith, you're often best not telling them where it's from. Especially if it's a generic lock assy. Many places won't work on something if they know it cam from an aircraft.

If you want an original key, you should be able to pull the lock assy and check for a number stamped on the outside of the barrel or assembly itself which should provide the information to have another sent to you.

Often as not, it's just as easy to put a new assembly in. As others mentioned, if the key matches the door, you can have one keyed from that, too. If you know others with similiar aircraft types, see if you can borrow a few keys and try them out. Chances are, one of them will work.

Samurai's are kick ass offroad, although a little gay on road. A lot of hard core crawler dudes like to build up Samurai's. They like the size and weight.

Replacing the ignition is easy, but getting one rekeyed is possible, too. I always keep a couple of big keyrings in my box that havea couple hundred keys between them....everything from airplane keys to automotive keys to padlock keys. It's rare that one of them won't open an aircraft or fire one up. Aircrat locks are notoiously poor, and that includs the ignition keys. My suzuki samurai key, for example, will open half of what's out there.

Our box O' keys has never failed ;)

I would have thought a gruff guy like Avbug drove something more manly than a Suzuki Samurai... ;)

Sounds more like an "airport" car one might be more neglectful of.

I loaned the Samo to someone who ran it out of oil (don't ask), and siezed the engine. Literally welded one cylinder. And melted one piston. It's sitting in a field presently, though I have a new overbored and oversized engine to put in as soon as I find the carb I want. People can say what they will, but I've been places that other people bog in and I ride over the top because it's so light. It's not so good on ice, however.

I would have thought a gruff guy like Avbug drove something more manly than a Suzuki Samurai...

Who are you calling gruff? I run a soup kitchen for homeless kittens, and translate obscure scriptures into esperanto for esperantese refugees...when not making origami cranes to benefit blind greyhounds. Gruff?

I drive a 1997 (or 1998...not really sure) Dodge Grand Caravan.

I bought it on ebay.

Latest resources

Back