Katrina updates...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Illini said:
Hopefully they don't allow too many folks in there, just in case the lower levels of seating begin to flood and everyone has to scramble to the higher seats.

Not to make light of a terrible situation, but in this case, I don't think the cheap seats will be...

Nu

On the Weather Channel, they said the superdome was designed to withstand 200mph winds. With flying debris, it may not be able to handle that much.

Flying Illini said:
Just watched some of the news, those that can't make it out of the city are all going to the Superdome to try and ride out the storm. I'm not familiar with where that's located within the city but if the city of N.O. is underwater, wouldn't a significant portion of the superdome be as well? Hopefully they don't allow too many folks in there, just in case the lower levels of seating begin to flood and everyone has to scramble to the higher seats.

Is the Superdome guaranteed to survive this storm? I dont know too much about the Superdome but Id assume it is strong enough to remain intact. I hope so for the sake of those people inside. God Bless all those people in the Big Easy!!

viper548 said:
On the Weather Channel, they said the superdome was designed to withstand 200mph winds. With flying debris, it may not be able to handle that much.

I am not sure what's going to be worse, the wind or water.

mudkow60 said:
Great site. Added that to my list. I am watching all night, and will get out if it comes East toward Pensacola.

Here are a few more if you like:

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/tracking.asp

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at2+shtml/145105.shtml?5day

Also, if you do a photo search on wunderground for mudkow60, you can see my pics.

Good luck to all in the path of this bastard (bit*h).

wrx.. where did you hear the reports of 200 mph winds? Never heard such a thing, unless you are talking about a storm on Jupiter.

Earlier in the day Joe Bastardi of Accuweather was saying that on Fox. I've never heard of that either, but have heard rumors of Pacific cyclones hitting speeds like that.

Just checked, Hurricane Allen in 1980 had a sustained speed of 190 mph, so gusts well over 200 mph would not be out of the question for that particular storm.

Last edited:
Flying Illini said:
Just watched some of the news, those that can't make it out of the city are all going to the Superdome to try and ride out the storm.

Just watching the news, heart-wrenching. The Superdome is the location of 'last resort'. People with no way out of the city, no transportation or money, people who tried to leave yet their car broke down. All sorts of people from every background waiting together at the Superdome.

Here's something else that really concerns me.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...harts&product=HurTrack2&prodnav=none&pid=none

The projected path shows the hurricane following the Mississippi river and then the Ohio river valley. As this storm continues dumping water all along these two large rivers, the folks at the mouth of the Mississippi (New Orleans) will have significant flooding continuing for a week following the hurricane's passage as these rain/flood waters flow down the Ohio into the Mississippi and then down the Mississippi to the Gulf.

Latest resources

Back