• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Katrina Flying Volunteers?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CAL and XJT are doing the same thing. Lots of volunteers. Keep up the good work everyone.

Press Release Source: AirTran Airways

AirTran Airways Delivers 52,000 Pounds of Supplies to Hurricane Victims on the Gulf Coast
Friday September 2, 7:01 pm ET
Flights to Gulfport/Biloxi Deliver Much Needed Assistance

ORLANDO, Fla., Sept. 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc., (NYSE: AAI - News), today operated two humanitarian aid flights from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport to Gulfport/Biloxi Regional Airport on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. As the largest all-jet carrier serving Gulfport/Biloxi, the airline delivered more than 52,000 pounds of water, food, clothing, medical supplies and other necessities to support the work of both the Red Cross and the Salvation Army in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.
(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050902/NYF163-a

http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050902/NYF163-b
http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20050902/NYF163-c )

The airline partnered with Atlanta-based radio stations WVEE and WAOK to raise the awareness of the need for water, food, clothing and medical supplies for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. In a few hours on Thursday afternoon, V-103 listeners responded to solicitations by morning show hosts Frank Ski and Wanda Smith and afternoon host Ryan Cameron to bring much needed supplies for the hurricane victims.

"It was uplifting to see our Crew Members in Gulfport/Biloxi in such high spirits, and they were thrilled to see two planeloads of much needed water, food and medical supplies for the Gulf Coast residents," stated Bob Fornaro, the airline's president and chief operating officer. "As the largest all-jet airline serving Gulfport/Biloxi, it is only fitting that we give back to the community in its time of need."

AirTran Airways is made up of 6,700 Crew Members who care about the 49 communities the airline serves with over 560 flights per day.

ASA is really doing a great job. Called one of our VP, s to voluteer,
talked to two cheif pilots, screwscheduling, and left my number with them all and no call. I understand we sent down an rj with supplies and BL and some other mangnmt, turned into a photo op. There are alot of guys and gals that would volunteer to fly down and help. I offered to go at my own risk and stay in GPT, i have five days off, nothing. Delta and ASA have made alot of money off of the people in BTR, GPT, MSY over the years, I know FEMA probably limits some activity but we need to get our collective head out of our ass. This is not half way around the world, mexico or canada or even some place in the northeast or out west, this is our back yard. We piss away more money in a week than it takes to airlift some help down south.

In some ways this is much worse that sept 11, it is the only time I can remember talking about americans on U.S. soil as refugees, thousands and thousands of them. These people are displaced and will be for many months and in the hardist hit areas years. It is unbelievbale that we are still evacuating people from rooftops this long after the storm, and we still have people at the convention center and the dome. I should have learned to fly helicopters!

If anyone knows of some real ways to access these areas please post it. My conversations with FEMA and the Red Cross were useless.

Eagle has flown several flights already, and has several on deck each day for the next several days. Mostly medical personnel and aid workers. No shortage of volunteer pilots and flight attendants.

Last I heard, we still had at least 10 employees who haven't been accounted for yet. :(

Midatlantic has 20 plus crews that have said they will fly for free (via our own internet message group). We approached the company but Lakefield (or anyone else at crystal city) has yet to reply.

America West donated an A320 to fly refugees from MSY to Lackland Air Force base. CP's office could not believe the response from volunteers to work the flight.

I also know UAL earlier in the week donated an aircraft and flew people to ORD, then let them continue on to anywhere they wanted to go.

It appears that alot of airlines are stepping up to the plate.

Latest resources

Back